22.2878, Jobs: Various Languages; Phonetics: Linguist, Appen Butler Hill

Wed Jul 13 15:37:45 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2878. Wed Jul 13 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2878, Jobs: Various Languages; Phonetics: Linguist, Appen Butler Hill

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 12-Jul-2011
From: My Huynh [recruitment at appenbutlerhill.com]

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:35:05
From: My Huynh [recruitment at appenbutlerhill.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2878.html&submissionid=4526381&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Appen Butler Hill
Department: Recruitment
Job Location: Chatswood, Sydney, Australia (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://www.appenbutlerhill.com
Job Rank: Linguist

Specialty Areas: Phonetics

Required Language(s): Czech (ces)
                      German (deu)
                      Slovak (slk)
                      Swedish (swe)

Work opportunity for linguists of Slovak, Austrian German, Finland Swedish
and Czech.

Appen Butler Hill is looking for linguists of various languages for lexicon
projects.

We are currently looking for the following languages:
-  Slovak
-  Austrian German
-  Finland Swedish - a linguist who is a native speaker of Swedish spoken
in Finland (Swedish-speaking Finns)
-  Czech

Responsibilities:
-  Describe some phonetic characteristics e.g. rules of stress,
syllabification using IPA and SAMPA - a computer-readable keyboard-friendly
phonetic script based on the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) with
example words
-  Describe sound patterns e.g., decide on what phonetic variant
pronunciations are needed; how names of foreign origin or from minority
languages should be treated

Desirable:
-  A linguist with some experience with phonetics/phonology or some
linguistic background (e.g. you may have taken phonetics course at a
University) would be ideal

Required Skills:
-  Native speaker with a good knowledge of phonology
-  Fluent English

This work can be done remotely or in-house at our office in Chatswood, Sydney.

Interested candidates are invited to send their resume to the email address
below.

Appen Butler Hill develops high quality speech and language technology
solutions namely used in car navigation systems, mobile phones, word
processing packages, directory assistance, speaker verification tools and
hand-held machine translation devices. Our staff comprises linguists, IT
professionals and Project Managers who collaborate to produce quality work
in over 100 different languages for many of the world's leading companies.

Email Address for Applications: recruitment at appenbutlerhill.com
Contact Information:
	Ms My Huynh
	Email: recruitment at appenbutlerhill.com