22.2898, Jobs: Arabic Dialects: Researcher, Columbia University

Fri Jul 15 01:14:04 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2898. Thu Jul 14 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2898, Jobs: Arabic Dialects: Researcher, Columbia University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 14-Jul-2011
From: Nizar Habash [habash at ccls.columbia.edu]
Subject: Arabic Dialects: Researcher, Columbia University, NY, USA

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:11:21
From: Nizar Habash [habash at ccls.columbia.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2898.html&submissionid=4526641&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Columbia University
Department: Center for Computational Learning Systems
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: http://www.ccls.columbia.edu/
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Arabic Dialects

Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)

We are looking for a person who has a good knowledge of Standard Arabic and
at least one of its dialects, and who is familiar with contemporary
linguistic theory. The candidate should have at least an MA in a related
field (PhD preferred). Focus or previous research in spoken Arabic and or
Arabic dialectology is a major plus. The candidate should also be
comfortable with using a computer, and should be able to write simple
scripts in a language such as Perl or Python, or should be open to learning
this skill.

The linguist will work within the Columbia Arabic Dialect Modeling (CADIM,
http://www1.ccls.columbia.edu/~cadim/) research group at Columbia
University in New York City, which has generated some of the most used
computational tools for Arabic and its dialects.

The specific duties will include:
-  Working with computational linguists on the specification of Arabic
dialect linguistic knowledge for computational tools such as morphological
analyzers, morphological disambiguators, lemmatizers, and dialect identifiers
-  Helping with annotation efforts; specifically, participating in creating
annotation guidelines intended for human annotators, training annotators,
and checking human annotations
-  Participating in efforts to publish and distribute resources and tools
developed at CADIM
-  Remuneration will be commensurate with training, experience and capabilities

For inquiries and application, please send email to Dr. Nizar Habash
habash at ccls.columbia.edu with subject line "Arabic Linguist @ Columbia
University". Please include a CV and a list of references. Include examples
of published or unpublished work.

Email Address for Applications: habash at ccls.columbia.edu
Contact Information:
	Dr. Nizar Habash