22.2304, Qs: Key Articles in Psycholinguistics: Help Requested

Wed Jun 1 15:22:47 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2304. Wed Jun 01 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2304, Qs: Key Articles in Psycholinguistics: Help Requested

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Jun-2011
From: Nigel Duffield [nigelduffield at gmail.com]

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:19:57
From: Nigel Duffield [nigelduffield at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2304.html&submissionid=4521695&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I have been contracted to write an upper-level
undergraduate/postgraduate textbook on psycholinguistics, focussing
on 'classical' Psycholinguistics (i.e. chronometric studies of language
representation and processing in adult monolinguals), but also
touching on more recent neuropsychological and neurophysiological
studies of language, first and second language acquisition and
development, multilingual processing and empirical research in
Language and Cognition, including Linguistic Relativity.

In order to tackle this highly ambitious undertaking, my intention is to
structure the book and the constituent chapters around a canon of key
articles in psycholinguistics, papers published over the last sixty years
(and especially since the mid 1980s. For concreteness, one might take
Fodor's "Modularity of Mind" as a useful watershed date.)

To make this textbook as relevant and interesting as possible, I would
like to ask for your help in sending me your "Top 10s" lists for a wide
range of mid-level topics, such as "spoken word recognition",
"morphological processing", "lexical organisation in bilinguals",
"syntactic priming", etc.

To begin, though, I'd like your help in compiling an overall "Top 30", the
thirty most significant articles in psycholinguistics since 1950.

The lists should consist of primary sources, journal articles published in
peer-reviewed journals with an impact factor sufficient to make them
accessible to undergraduates through any university library, or articles
that are easily accessible though other databases e.g., JSTOR, Web of
Science, etc. I am not necessarily looking for the articles that are most
cited, though this is an important measure of significance, but for those
that you personally consider most interesting or stimulating, perhaps
because they present counter-intuitive or controversial findings.

It is not necessary to send me 30 titles (though that's fine too!): you can
just send in one or two suggestions, I will collate and rank-order all
suggestions for all of the relevant lists.

Rather than troubling the LINGUIST List readership further with follow-
up requests, I have set up a blog for this project at:

http://contemporary-psycholinguistics.blogspot.com/

If you are interested in helping further, or in finding out more about the
lists as they emerge, please contact me via the blog, and/or sign up as
a follower.

Thank you very much for your help with this project.

Nigel Duffield

PS. The site will consist only of lists and associated commentary on
lists. For contractual reasons, I am not able to publish any draft
chapters from the book itself on this site.

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics