22.2518, Jobs: Spanish Linguistics: Research Assistant - PhD Fellow, U of Leuven

Fri Jun 17 04:21:12 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2518. Fri Jun 17 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2518, Jobs: Spanish Linguistics: Research Assistant - PhD Fellow, U of Leuven

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 16-Jun-2011
From: Bert Cornillie [bert.cornillie at arts.kuleuven.be]
Subject: Spanish Linguistics: Research Assistant - PhD Fellow, University of Leuven, Belgium

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:19:00
From: Bert Cornillie [bert.cornillie at arts.kuleuven.be]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2518.html&submissionid=4523707&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Leuven
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Leuven, Belgium
Web Address: http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/depling/index-e.html
Job Rank: Research Asistant - PhD Fellow

Specialty Areas: Pragmatics; Spanish Linguistics; Functional Syntax

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

PhD-Fellowship in Spanish Linguistics at the University of Leuven

The Research Unit of Cognitive and Functional Linguistics: English, Spanish
and Typology at K.U.Leuven's Department of Linguistics is looking for
applicants for a fully-funded four-year PhD-fellowship in Spanish
Linguistics (start date: 1 October 2011).

The PhD project is entitled 'The multiple functional load of Spanish que'
and is part of the larger GOA project 'The Multiple Functional Load of
grammatical signs in text construction and processes of language change',
which is funded by the K.U.Leuven Research Council. The team of the GOA
project is composed of Bert Cornillie, Kristin Davidse (principal
coordinator), Jean-Christophe Verstraete and An Van linden. The main
coordinator of this work package is Bert Cornillie (Spanish Linguistics).

The aim of the PhD project is to account for the semantics and pragmatics
of the complementizer 'que' in clauses that lack a matrix verb, e.g. que se
quede aquí 's/he should stay here', claro/ naturalmente/ evidentemente que
me hubiera gustado 'of course I would have loved that', sí que te lo había
dicho 'yes I had told you' or Mira que te lo he dicho cien veces 'Look I
have told you that 100 times'. A summary of the research project can be
requested by e-mail.

Applications are invited from candidates with the following qualifications:
-  Strong analytical skills and the motivation to pursue creative work in
cognitive-functional linguistics
-  An interest in authentic corpus data, talk-in-interaction and the
syntax-discourse interface
-  An MA (or equivalent) in Linguistics or Philology and academic distinction
-  An excellent command of Spanish and a good command of English;
proficiency in, or a willingness to learn Dutch is an asset
-  A cooperative attitude and the ability to play an active role in the
research group (including its weekly seminars)
-  The ability to present research results at international conferences,
and to publish in peer-reviewed journals

Motivated candidates meeting these criteria are invited to apply online
according to the instructions given at
http://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/vacancies_aapbap/phd_humanities.html

Please include a cover letter, a CV, the names of two referees we may
contact prior to appointment, and a sample piece of writing. The deadline
for application is 27 June 2011.

Interviews will be held with shortlisted candidates (in person or online
for overseas applicants). A decision will be made by mid July.

The fellow will receive a salary of approximately 1700 EUR/month (after
taxes) for a period of four years and all regular provisions for K.U.Leuven
research fellows. In addition, s/he will be allocated office space and a
laptop, and receive funding for research activities such as attending
conferences abroad and organizing workshops and conferences in Leuven or
elsewhere.

The successful candidate will be requested to do some teaching in the
Spanish Linguistics programme. S/he will join a dynamic research team
(including six professors, five postdoctoral fellows and ten PhD students).

For further information, please contact the project's supervisors, Prof.
Bert Cornillie bert.cornillie at arts.kuleuven.be or Dr. Hendrik De Smet
hendrik.desmet at arts.kuleuven.be.

Start date: October 2011
End date: September 2015