22.1013, I: am Giving Back to LINGUIST

Wed Mar 2 02:39:09 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1013. Tue Mar 01 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1013, I: am Giving Back to LINGUIST

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 01-Mar-2011
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Margaret Winters Feels Honored to be an Advisor

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 21:37:52
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1013.html&submissionid=4500137&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

It is hard to believe that LINGUIST has been part of my
life for something like 20 years! I don't think I was one
of the original 78 subscribers, but I know I was there
early, excited
by the potential of this new mode of
professional communication.
During the early years when
LINGUIST stood alone as the forum
for discussions on
theory, data, professional development, and
everything
else we could think of, I participated and profited
from
interaction of a kind we had not even thought of earlier.

Of course the list has evolved and discussions of theory
and
data have largely moved to more specialized lists.
But I still count on LinguistList for conference calls
for papers and programs,
queries (and the generous answers
from around the world), new
books and dissertations. And
the entire LINGUIST site has an
amazing array of linguistic
resources for all of us, however
long we've been in the
field.

Because I think so highly of these contributions to the
entire discipline of Linguistics, I feel honored to be
an Advisor. Working with Helen, Anthony, the LINGUIST
crew, and my fellow
Advisors is a pleasure, and helping
with decision-making makes me feel that I am giving back
to an organization that has contributed so much to all of
us. Who doesn't like being asked
for opinions? As the
next paragraph will remind everyone as well,
I am also a
shameless letter-writer for the annual fund drive and

look forward to continuing that role this year too.

And I can continue right here: there is as obvious way
for everyone, not just the Advisors, to show gratitude
for LINGUIST,
not just for the discussion listserv, but
for the many resources
and services that have been added
over the years. LINGUIST needs your donations, large and
small, to keep running.

Now is the
time to support this mainstay of Linguistics
by donating!

Donate at:

Thank you to the LINGUIST crew for making me one of the
spokespersons
for the Advisors this year.

And thank you to everyone for donating
to LINGUIST!

Margaret Winters

LINGUIST Adviser

<pre>

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.