22.1036, Jobs: NLP: Senior Research Scientist, Educational Testing Services

Wed Mar 2 19:14:35 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1036. Wed Mar 02 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1036, Jobs: NLP: Senior Research Scientist, Educational Testing Services

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 01-Mar-2011
From: Human Resources [none at given.com]
Subject: Natural Language Processing: Senior Research Scientist, ETS (Educational Testing Service), NJ, USA

Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 14:12:40
From: Human Resources [none at given.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1036.html&submissionid=4500055&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: ETS (Educational Testing Service)
Job Location: New Jersey, USA
Web Address: http://www.Click2Apply.net/sqbtr6d
Job Rank: Senior Research Scientist

Specialty Areas: Natural Language Processing

ETS (Educational Testing Service), with headquarters in Princeton, NJ, is a
global $1.3B not for profit organization. Our mission is to advance quality
and equity in education by providing fair and valid assessments, performing
educational research and influencing policies that promote learning,
performance, education and professional development. As a nonprofit
corporation and an innovator in developing tests for clients in education,
government and business, we are dedicated to advancing educational
excellence for the communities we serve.

In the context of this position, we will turn to your skills and
scientific/technical expertise to conceptualize, design, obtain support
for, conduct and manage major research and/or development projects,
particularly those in which natural language processing (NLP) techniques
are applied to problems in education or assessment. Your responsibilities
would include planning a long-term substantive research agenda,
designing/conducting complex scientific studies, disseminating results and
implications of projects and functioning as an expert in the major facets
of the program. This position further offers the opportunity to generate or
contribute to new or modified NLP theories and methodology and provide
leadership for the development of new products or services for education
and for the conduct of major projects in automated scoring and NLP.

Our qualifications include:
-  A Ph.D in Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics or
Computer Science
-  Eight years of independent research experience providing evidence of
continuing and substantial contributions to a field of study
-  A strong statistical and machine learning background
-  Demonstrable contributions to new and/or modified theories of Natural
Language Processing and their implementation in automated systems
-  Practical expertise with NLP tools and fluency in at least one major
programming language (e.g. Java, Perl, C/C++, Python)
-  The ability to lead the development of proposals for major research,
development, or large-scale NLP projects
-  Ability to develop, promote and maintain professional relationships as
representative, consultant or advisor to external advisory or policy boards
and councils, research organizations, educational institutions and educators
-  Familiarity with the application of NLP tools to educational problems
-  Demonstrated ability to lead project teams and to work collaboratively
with a diverse set of contributors

We offer a competitive salary and excellent compensation package including
medical, dental, vision, 403(b) retirement plan, life and disability
insurance, paid time off and an employee assistance program.

Please apply online at the application URL below.

Application Deadline: 28-Aug-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://www.Click2Apply.net/sqbtr6d
Contact Information:
	Human Resources
	Email: none at given.com

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.