22.1181, Providing: Useful Information for Language Documentation

Fri Mar 11 02:57:53 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1181. Thu Mar 10 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1181, Providing: Useful Information for Language Documentation

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 10-Mar-2011
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Update on EMELD Project

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:57:07
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1181.html&submissionid=4502695&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

The E-MELD project (http://emeld.org/index.cfm), began in 2001, and
was a five-year project designed to aid in the preservation of
endangered languages data and documentation. The project is also
intended to support the development of the necessary infrastructure
for effective collaboration among electronic archives. The E-MELD
Maintenance Team (EMT), founded in 2007, is a continuation of the
E-MELD project, dedicated to keeping the site up-to-date with the
most current resources for field linguists.

The pages on the E-MELD site provide useful information and tips on
how to document and store language data. We are particularly proud
of The School of Best Practices.

Here, users can visit the 'classroom' (http://emeld.org/school/classroom/index.html)
and find lessons and tutorials on how to create archival and presentation
formats for various media types; better understand the concepts behind,
and the recommendations of best practices for various documentation types;
encode, store and render best practice data using assorted technologies;
and make data available to more researchers in enduring formats using
techniques for preservation. There is even Ask-an-Expert, where users
can ask our E-MELD panel members about creating and preserving digital
language documentation.

Our goal is to make E-MELD a useful resource for a wide range of users,
from students who are in the early stages of their research career to
professional field linguists. To keep the E-MELD site live and up-to-date,
we need a maintenance team.

For this, we need your donations!

If you feel that E-MELD is important to you and the linguistic community
at large, please contribute to our 2011 Fund Drive and support its maintenance.
Donations received during our fund drive are used to support the graduate
student assistants at LINGUIST List, including those who work on E-MELD
maintenance. Your donation will help us keep the LINGUIST List site running,
bringing the latest information to the linguistic community.

We appreciate your generosity.

Best Regards,

The LINGUIST Crew

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.