22.1258, Jobs: Japanese & Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, SAP Labs

Wed Mar 16 16:42:28 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1258. Wed Mar 16 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1258, Jobs: Japanese & Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, SAP Labs

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Mar-2011
From: Michael Wiesner [michael.wiesner at sap.com]
Subject: Japanese & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist,  SAP Labs, Massachusetts, USA

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:41:04
From: Michael Wiesner [michael.wiesner at sap.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1258.html&submissionid=4503656&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: SAP Labs
Department: TIP BAT EIM - Information Quality and Insight
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.sap.com
Job Rank: Computational Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing

Required Language(s): Japanese (jpn)

The Text Analysis team at SAP Labs in Cambridge, MA is part of the
Information Quality and Insight product development group and focuses on
the development of NLP Information Extraction technologies.

We have an immediate need for a Computational Linguist who will be
responsible for the Japanese language module in our NLP products.

Computational Linguist, Japanese
(Consulting Position)

Job Description:

The Computational Linguist is responsible for the Japanese language
module ('Lingware') in both our linguistic foundation application and our
entity and fact extraction solution. The position's responsibilities focus on
the creation, maintenance and augmentation of machine-readable
dictionaries, grammar rules and parsing algorithms.

In order to perform this job effectively, you will learn how to use Finite-State
Technology in the context of our NLP products and will learn how to
encode grammatical patterns in our proprietary entity/fact extraction
language. Additionally, you will use a data manipulation language such as
Perl or Python for script development supporting the automatic analysis of
domain-specific corpora, automated testing of new rule sets against gold
standards and calculation of precision/recall scores.

Primary Duties:
- Assumes ownership of the Japanese language module.
- Develops an in-depth understanding of the algorithms available for
processing linguistic information.
- Continuously enhances and maintains assigned language modules in line
with product roadmap requirements and the principles and conventions
used in Lingware development.
- Builds and unit-tests new versions of Lingware modules by following
established processes. Debugs module functionality at a subsystem level.
- Constantly works to improve the overall performance of assigned
Lingware modules with respect to industry standards.
- Assists in establishing milestones, ensures assigned work follows
schedule and informs manager of slippages and proposes corrective
action. Consistently meets deliverables in terms of matching estimates and
managing risk.
- Participates in and contributes to formal inspections.
- Presents new ideas to technical audiences and contributes positively to
design discussions.
- Provides support, consultation and training to all areas of the company
with respect to implementing, using, maintaining and improving established
development processes.

Required Skills:
- B.A. in Computational Linguistics or equivalent
- Native or near-native knowledge of written Japanese
- Fluency in English
- Strong background in syntax and morphology
- Proficiency in at least one data manipulation language (Perl preferred)
- Understanding of underlying computational properties of natural
languages
- Advanced understanding and knowledge of analyzing linguistic
phenomena, comparing to those from other languages
- Familiarity with modern quantitative techniques in NLP
- Strict adherence to formal, documented development processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Desired Skills/Pluses:
- Experience with regex languages and finite-state automata for NLP
applications
- Experience with developing or maintaining modules for human languages
other than immediate area of expertise
- Good working knowledge of at least one programming language (C++
preferred)
- Full understanding of the software development life cycle

Email Address for Applications: michael.wiesner at sap.com
Contact Information:
	Software Development Director Michael Wiesner
	Email: michael.wiesner at sap.com

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.