22.1404, I: Have Learned So Much

Fri Mar 25 01:40:21 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1404. Thu Mar 24 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1404, I: Have Learned So Much

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 24-Mar-2011
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: An Incredibly Unique Organization

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:39:23
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1404.html&submissionid=4506455&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

My name is Fatemeh Abdollahi, and I am the Publications Manager
for The LINGUIST List. I am currently in my last year of my
undergraduate studies here at Eastern Michigan University, and
it seems like just yesterday when I was writing my first letter
for fund drive four years ago! During this time at LINGUIST List
(working as their youngest hire to date), I have learned so much
about the discipline, about you as our subscribers, and about so
many other aspects of acadamia.

As Publications Manager for The LINGUIST List, I am in charge of
ensuring the dissemination of materials relating to - you guessed
it - publications in linguistics. We distribute a variety of these
materials, such as Book Abstracts, Book Reviews (handled by our
reviews team at The University of Wisconsin at Madison)  Journal
calls for Papers, Journal Table of Contents announcements, Software
in Linguistics, and also maintain a database of Journals and
publishers currently active in Linguistics. Our publications materials
are quite extensive, with 1115 books, and 379 Journal Table of
Contents announcements distributed within the past year alone,
LINGUIST List serves as the premier site for nearly all announcements
in Linguistics.

In addition to being a mailing list, LINGUIST List also serves as a
research organization, working on several projects that are open access
for the linguistics community at all times. I have been privileged to
work on several of these, such as MultiTree, GOLD Ontology, and currently
LL-Map, "a project designed to integrate language information with data
from the physical and social sciences by means of a Geographical
Information System (GIS)." The region of the world I have mainly
focused on is Central-South America, viewable at llmap.org! In addition
to my work on these grants, I have served as the manager for Publicity
for LINGUIST List. In this role I have been responsible for making you,
our users, aware of the many projects and features we are constantly
completing for your use.

LINGUIST List is an incredibly unique organization. In no other
discipline is there a source that is a central hub for all materials
in that discipline. We announce to you, free of charge, information
on jobs, conferences, journal calls for papers, and a plethora of
other topics. In addition to this we house hundreds of mailing lists,
web resources, blogs, and more. If any of you have used LINGUIST List
for a job search, a review submission, or even to keep track of recent
publications of books in Linguistics, PLEASE DONATE TO LINGUIST List
TODAY! Your donations not only help keep LINGUIST List up and running,
but help fund the educations of us students who post your submissions,
and develop this site for your use!  LINGUIST List is a non-profit
organization run by donations from users like you. Any amount would be
appreciated, and will help us to keep our services to you free.

Please donate today at:

Best Wishes,

Fatemeh Abdollahi

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.