22.1916, Diss: Phonology/Syntax: Mckinnon: 'The Morphophonology and Morphosy...'

Tue May 3 14:02:45 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1916. Tue May 03 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1916, Diss: Phonology/Syntax: Mckinnon: 'The Morphophonology and Morphosy...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks <erica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-May-2011
From: Timothy Mckinnon [timothy_mckinnon at eva.mpg.de]
Subject: Dissertation Abstract

Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 10:01:13
From: Timothy Mckinnon [timothy_mckinnon at eva.mpg.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1916.html&submissionid=4516635&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Delaware
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2011

Author: Timothy A Mckinnon

Dissertation Title: The Morphophonology and Morphosyntax of Kerinci Word-Shape
Alternations

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Phonology
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Kerinci (kvr)

Dissertation Director(s):
Peter Cole
Uri Tadmor
Jeffrey N. Heinz
Gabriella Hermon

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation examines the grammar of a dialect of Kerinci spoken
in the village of Tanjung Pauh Mudik.  Kerinci is a Malayic language
spoken primarily in the Kerinci Regency, in the mountainous western
part of Jambi Province, Sumatra, Indonesia.

In many Kerinci dialects, lexical items exhibit two distinct forms which
differ from one another in the phonological realization of their final
syllable rime.  These two morphological forms developed historically
from a phrasal-level phonological alternation, and have been referred
to in the literature as the `absolute' (historically phrase-final) form and
`oblique' (historically phrase-medial) form (Steinhauer and Usman
(1978) inter alia).

The aim of this dissertation is to understand the grammatical factors
which determine the phonological shape and syntactic distribution of
absolute and oblique forms.  From a phonological perspective, I
investigate whether the relationship between the phonological shape of
absolute and oblique forms is predictable.  From a syntactic
perspective, I attempt to determine whether the properties of the
alternation within the nominal and verbal domain can be explained via
the same grammatical mechanism.  In answering this question, I
consider whether the choice between absolute and oblique is purely
syntactic (i.e. structure dependent), or whether it involves a
combination of syntactic and phonological factors (e.g. linear word
order).

In the verbal domain, I argue that the O-form is an incipient marker of
nominal agreement which functions to license null pronouns in certain
contexts.  This proposal explains the observation that TPM appears to
permit extraction of non-subject arguments, a fact which runs contrary
to the robust typological generalization that languages with `Philippine-
type' voice systems do not permit extraction of non-subject arguments.

Within the nominal domain, there is evidence to suggest that the
alternation is conditioned by linear word order.  Despite this, I argue
that the same underlying mechanism (nominal agreement) accounts for
the alternation within both domains.  This unified analysis is possible on
the assumption that both nominal and verbal domains exhibit
Larsonian-type structures in which adjuncts are treated as
complements.  Thus, I conclude that the alternation is determined by
purely syntactic factors in both nominal and verbal domains.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.