22.1933, Jobs: Polish; Lang Acq; Psycholing: Post Doc, U Paris 8/CNRS

Wed May 4 17:09:20 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1933. Wed May 04 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1933, Jobs: Polish; Lang Acq; Psycholing: Post Doc, U Paris 8/CNRS

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 04-May-2011
From: Marzena Watorek [marzenawatorek at yahoo.fr]
Subject: Polish; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, University Paris 8/CNRS, France

Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 13:07:01
From: Marzena Watorek [marzenawatorek at yahoo.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1933.html&submissionid=4517075&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University Paris 8/CNRS
Job Location: Paris, France
Web Address: http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics

Required Language(s): Polish (pol)
                      Slavic Subgroup

The VILLA project, coordinated by the UMR 7023 CNRS laboratory in Paris,
France, invites applications for a postdoctoral fellowship in language
acquisition (the language of study will be Polish) to begin 1 October 2011.

The VILLA Project has received funding for a three-year period (2011-2014)
from the Open Research Area of the Social Sciences in Europe, with
contributions from national research agencies in France, Germany and the
Netherlands. Scholars in the UK are also involved in the project. VILLA,
'Varieties of Initial Learners in Language Acquisition: controlled
classroom input and elementary forms of linguistic organization,' will
investigate and compare the acquisition of Polish by native speakers of
French, German, Dutch and English.

The global objective of the project is to provide a precise description of
the input processing of a novel language by adult learners under controlled
conditions. We expect the results of this project to lend themselves not
only to the theorization of current questions concerning second language
acquisition, but also to a reflection on the practical implications of this
empirical investigation. We hope to inform the debate about the available
initial state knowledge that learners can use when processing input upon
first contact with a new language. The L2 initial state is the subject of
much debate, in particular in generative-theory based research. Our study,
conducted within a functional approach, will allow us to engage in this
debate from a different perspective.

Applicants should be linguists of Slavic languages with an expertise in
Polish (though not necessarily a Polish native speaker) and should have
research interests in psycholinguistics and language acquisition. They
should also be proficient in English and have good communication skills in
French. The appointment will be for 20 months, and support will be 3700
EUR/month before taxes and social charges (1900 EUR net). The post will be
based in Paris (with some travel to partner countries).

The recipient will advise project members on linguistic aspects of Polish
and coordinate different operations involved in VILLA data collection:
analyses of instructor input, learner productions, and test results. The
recipient will also maintain relations among research teams collecting and
analyzing data in the four countries and organize the communication of
results among the four teams. In addition, the candidate will have the
opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research in any of the investigation
areas (phonology, lexicon, morphology, syntax, pragmatic utterance
organization, L3 acquisition, individual differences, or the interface
between language teaching and acquisition) according to his/her own
scientific interests. S/he will be affiliated with the French CNRS (Centre
national de la recherche scientifique), in an "Unité mixte de recherche"
(UMR) that has been investigating aspects of language acquisition for over
twenty years in an international context. (For more information on the
research laboratory, see the URL above.)

The candidate must hold a PhD at the time of appointment. Interested
candidates should send a letter of application, a detailed curriculum vitae
(including a list of publications and research experience) and a Doctoral
Thesis Defense Report to: Marzena Watorek, email address below.

Application Deadline: 20-Jun-2011

Email Address for Applications: marzenawatorek at yahoo.fr
Contact Information:
	Marzena Watorek
	Email: marzenawatorek at yahoo.fr

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.