22.1938, FYI: VOICE XML and VOICE 1.1 Online Available

Thu May 5 14:44:15 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1938. Thu May 05 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1938, FYI: VOICE XML and VOICE 1.1 Online Available

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-May-2011
From: Marie-Luise Pitzl [marie-luise.pitzl at univie.ac.at]
Subject: VOICE XML and VOICE 1.1 Online Available

Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 10:43:18
From: Marie-Luise Pitzl [marie-luise.pitzl at univie.ac.at]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1938.html&submissionid=4517275&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

We are pleased to inform you that as of today, VOICE XML is available for
download via the VOICE website (www.univie.ac.at/voice)!

VOICE seeks to redress the balance by providing a sizeable,
computer-readable corpus of English as it is spoken by this non-native
speaking majority of users in different contexts. These speakers use
English successfully on a daily basis all over the world, in their
personal, professional or academic lives. We therefore see them primarily
not as language learners but as language users in their own right. It is
therefore clearly worth finding out just how they use the language. This is
exactly what VOICE seeks to make possible.

VOICE XML is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/) and includes all corpus
texts in XML format as well as derived HTML and TXT versions of the corpus
with reduced mark-up. For more information on VOICE XML see
https://www.univie.ac.at/voice/page/corpus_availability_xml and consult the
README file included in the download package.

In addition, the release of VOICE XML also marks the release of VOICE 1.1,
an updated version of the corpus that includes minor revisions in some of
the corpus texts. As of today, the web interface of VOICE Online is
therefore updated to VOICE 1.1 Online
(https://www.univie.ac.at/voice/page/corpus_availability_online).

We hope you will find these additional resources helpful, and we are
looking forward to receiving any kind of feedback you might have (please
mail to voice at univie.ac.at).

We have recently started a new subsection on VOICE-based publications on
our website and would like to invite you to let us know when you (have)
publish(ed) or present(ed) work which makes use of VOICE Online and/or
VOICE XML.

Best wishes,

Barbara Seidlhofer, Stefan Majewski, Ruth Osimk, Marie-Luise Pitzl, Michael
Radeka

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to help
keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
Drive 2011 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2011/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as
such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered
501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These
donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return
(U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match
any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your
contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the
EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple
administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company
operates such a program.