22.1954, Jobs: Spanish & Computational Ling: Consultant, Butler Hill Group

Fri May 6 00:31:25 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-1954. Thu May 05 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.1954, Jobs: Spanish & Computational Ling: Consultant, Butler Hill Group

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-May-2011
From: Azizah Mathly [amathly at butlerhill.com]
Subject: Spanish & Computational Linguistics: Consultant, Butler Hill Group

Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 20:24:17
From: Azizah Mathly [amathly at butlerhill.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-1954.html&submissionid=4516755&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Butler Hill Group
Department: Custom Consulting
Web Address: http://www.butlerhill.com
Job Rank: Consultant

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

The Job:
We have an immediate need for a native Spanish (Mexico) Linguist with a
strong background in phonetics.
-Start date: May 2011
-20-30 hours per week for 3 months with a possible extension.
-Location is flexible.

Requirements:
Qualified candidates need to be linguists who are native speakers in
Spanish (Mexico) and meet the following requirements:
-Completed B.A. in computational linguistics, M.A. and Ph.D. a plus
-Fluent English written and spoken.
-Experience in Language Technology, particularly in Speech Processing -
either in academia or industry.
-Knowledge of XML structures.
-Experience with bug management and the software release lifecycle.
-Experience with command-line interfaces.
-Knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet.

Preferred Skills:
-Knowledge of a third language is important.
-Some basic programming and understanding of at least one programming
language, e.g. PERL, Python or C#.
-Knowledge of regular expressions (RegEx) use.
-Experience using Visual Studio.
-Creation of Text Normalization (TN) and Inverse Text Normalization (ITN)
rules.
-Run simple scripts and work with command-line-based tools.
-Analyze tests results and propose solutions.
-Bug management with Product Studio.
-Help in design documents of tools and platforms.
-Run performance and accuracy tests with internal tools.
-Write language specifications (TN patterns, etc.)
-Work with Speech analysis tools.
-Assess quality of existent corpora.
-Creation of artificial grammars in grxml following SRGS standards.
-Experience with the ToBI prosodic annotation standards.
-Some experience building primary data tables, secondary data tables and
rules and algorithms.
-Write and revise lexicons and phone sets.
-Able to work with different phone sets and do phonetic annotation.
-Do prosody annotation.
-Write language specifications (phone set, standard variant choice, etc.)
-Familiarity with LTS and TTS technologies.
-Bug managing with Product Studio.
-Add POS (Part-of-Speech) tags to lexicons.

Additional Information:
Projects require excellent English reading, writing and communication
skills. Strong computer skills in a Windows environment and greater than
average comfort with software and technology are expected. US residents
must have US work authorization (US citizen or permanent resident).
Unfortunately, Butler Hill Group cannot sponsor employment visas at this
time. You will be required to sign a legally binding non-disclosure
agreement at the time of contract negotiation.
This is a part-time contract position.

Compensation:
We offer a competitive, hourly pay rate DOE (to be paid as 1099
self-employment income).

Web Address for Applications: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=4&rid=173
Contact Information:
	Azizah Mathly