22.2054, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Visiting Professor, University of Alberta

Thu May 12 21:56:10 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2054. Thu May 12 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2054, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Visiting Professor, University of Alberta

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 12-May-2011
From: John Newman [john.newman at ualberta.ca]
Subject: Psycholinguistics: Visiting Professor, University of Alberta, Canada

Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:54:37
From: John Newman [john.newman at ualberta.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2054.html&submissionid=4519275&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Alberta
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Web Address: http://www.linguistics.ualberta.ca/
Job Rank: Visiting Professor

Specialty Areas: Psycholinguistics

The Department of Linguistics within the Faculty of Arts at the University
of Alberta seeks to hire a Visiting Professor in Psycholinguistics for
2011-12. This is a twelve-month contract academic position, effective from
July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012 with the possibility of a one-year renewal.
The successful candidate will teach a full-time load in psycholinguistics
and other linguistics courses, although mentorship for graduate students in
a research laboratory environment may also be required. Experience working
with eye-tracking and ERP laboratory equipment is an asset.

Preference will be given to applicants with a PhD in Linguistics, although
ABD applicants and those with qualifications in other relevant aspects of
Linguistics or related fields will also be considered. Salary will be
commensurate with experience and in accordance with the University's
Contract Academic Staff: Teaching Agreement. A competitive benefits program
and a small moving allowance (removal grant) are also included.

Courses in Linguistics have been offered regularly at the University of
Alberta since 1969, making our program one of the oldest in Western Canada.
The Department of Linguistics at the University of Alberta offers degree
programs at the undergraduate and graduate level and has established itself
as a major centre, both nationally and internationally, for graduate
education and research in the empirical study of human language. Our
faculty and graduate students are actively involved in a wide range of
data-driven linguistic research with a strong focus on the empirical study
of language through observation, fieldwork, and experimentation. We are
also home to several major research grants in the areas of language
acquisition, psycholinguistics, acoustic phonetics, phonology, field
linguistics, corpus linguistics, and language documentation.

Established in 1908 as a board-governed, public institution, the University
of Alberta has earned the reputation of being one of the best universities
in Canada based on our strengths in teaching, research, and service. The
University of Alberta serves over 37,000 students in more than 200
undergraduate programs and 170 graduate programs (http://www.ualberta.ca).
The Faculty of Arts is the oldest and most diverse faculty on campus, and
one of the largest research and teaching centres in Western Canada
(http://www.arts.ualberta.ca).

Applications must include a curriculum vitae, a letter of application,
graduate transcripts, and teaching evaluations and/or other evidence of
teaching and research ability. Applicants must also arrange for three
confidential letters of reference to be sent, either by email or directly
to the Chair, at the address below. Inquiries concerning this position may
be directed to the Chair. Review of applications will begin 10 June 2011
and will continue until the position is filled.

The records arising from this competition will be managed in accordance
with provisions of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of
Privacy Act (FOIPP).

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr. John Newman, Chair
	Department of Linguistics