22.2155, FYI: Experiment: Interpretation of a Crisis Call

Sat May 21 16:23:09 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2155. Sat May 21 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2155, FYI: Experiment: Interpretation of a Crisis Call

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 20-May-2011
From: Helen Fraser [helenbfraser at gmail.com]
Subject: Experiment: Interpretation of a Crisis Call

Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 12:21:59
From: Helen Fraser [helenbfraser at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2155.html&submissionid=4520495&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

We are hoping to drum up participants for an experiment we are running
which is aimed at native speakers of English. Sorry I can't tell you
anything about it in advance except I am pretty sure you will find it
interesting! This could also be suitable for class discussion if you wanted
to ask some students to do it - but of course you should do it yourself
first to be sure it is appropriate for your students. Also, please feel
free to forward it to non-linguists!

Thanks very much,

Helen Fraser

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Please participate in our experiment 'Interpretation of a crisis call'. It
is in the form of an online survey, in which you listen to a real crisis
call and answer a series of questions in response to gradually-revealed
information. It should take about 20-30 minutes of your time. All necessary
instructions are provided within the survey itself.

In case you need persuading, so far those who have done the experiment have
overwhelmingly answered the question 'How interesting was this survey?'
with 'very interesting'!

The only thing we ask is that you do not discuss the survey with anyone who
has not already taken it.

Click below to take the survey (if clicking doesn't work, you may need to
copy and paste the link to your browser window, and check that it appears
exactly as below, with no extra spaces or characters).

http://unebcss.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0pm4PMjei6zJyAc

Many thanks in advance - any problems, questions or comments, don't
hesitate to contact one of us.

Helen Fraser: hfraser at une.edu.au
Bruce Stevenson: bstevens at une.edu.au
Tony Marks: tony.marks at une.edu.au