22.2202, Qs: Studying Ling: Challenges for L2 English Speakers

Wed May 25 15:42:03 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2202. Wed May 25 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2202, Qs: Studying Ling: Challenges for L2 English Speakers

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 24-May-2011
From: Souad Slaoui [slaouisouad at yahoo.fr]

Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:40:34
From: Souad Slaoui [slaouisouad at yahoo.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2202.html&submissionid=4520938&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List subscribers,

I am a senior a lecturer in linguistics in the Department of English at
Fez University. I am supervising a number of Ph.D doctorants from the
departments of English and French.

I am actually prepapring a paper on how to help doctorate students
from Departments other than English use and benefit from references
on Theoretical Linguistics written in English. To do so, I seek to get
information on the difficulties that this category of students with an
average standard of English language proficiency usually faces when
reading references in English knowing that most primary sources are
written in English? How can we help those students benefit from those
sources to progress in their research? I want to have different linguists'
points of view about this issue.

LINGUIST members may contact me off list, and I promise to collect all
the replies and submit them as a Summary for those who may be
interested.

With much appreciation,

Dr. Souad Slaoui
Department of English