22.2295, FYI: Looking for Academics Interested in Conlanging

Tue May 31 18:44:03 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-2295. Tue May 31 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.2295, FYI: Looking for Academics Interested in Conlanging

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 27-May-2011
From: David Peterson [dedalvs at gmail.com]

Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:43:06
From: David Peterson [dedalvs at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-2295.html&submissionid=4521315&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Do you (or does someone you know) use or investigate constructed
languages [0] in your academic or teaching work [1], or are you an
academic linguist who also creates languages as a hobby? If so, we'd
love to hear from you.

The Language Creation Society is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
dedicated to promoting, developing, and appreciating constructed
languages. We are working on compiling an informal public listing of all
the information out there related to language creation, and could use
your support.

In this regard, we'd love to hear from or about linguists and other
academics who work with constructed languages, but would especially
appreciate links to and/or citations on papers, class syllabi,
presentations, handouts, etc. that have been used in the past. If you're
interested in sharing, please contact Sai at <conlangs at saizai.com>
who's spearheading this project. Once we have a decent-sized list,
we'll follow up with a link to our listing.

Thanks very much for your time!

David Peterson
LCS President
lcs at conlang.org
www.conlang.org

[0] For a quick overview, please see: http://conlang.org/press.php

[1] Some examples:
* Using language creation as a didactic method to teach (typically)
Linguistics 101 type courses, e.g.:
- Prof. Wells-Jensen (Bowling Green U.):
http://www.fridaynightlinguistics.org/languagecreation/
- Prof. Hardman (U. Florida):
https://grove.ufl.edu/~hardman/LSFsyllabus.html
- Prof. Bigham (Texas Tech U.):
https://webspace.utexas.edu/bighamds/LIN312/HomeFrameset-3.htm
- Chris Doty (U. Oregon):
http://www.csdoty.com/courses/conlang/index.html

* Using small/nonce artificial mini-languages to probe (usually
cognitive) linguistics questions, e.g.:
- Drs. Friederici (Max Planck Inst. CogNeuro), Steinhauer (Georgetown
U.), & Pfiefer (MPICN):
http://www.pnas.org/content/99/1/529.long
- Drs. Gómez (Johns Hopkins U.) & Gerken (U. Arizona):
http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~creel/COGS156/COGS156_files/gomezge
rken02.pdf
- Dr. Mintz (U. Southern California):
http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~langdev/Memory%26Cognition_Mintz.pdf

* Investigating the anthropological side of current or historical created
languages and language creators, e.g.:
- Prof. Higley (U. Rochester):
http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0003/languages.php
and