22.4435, Disc: Linguistics to Satisfy General Ed. Requirements

Mon Nov 7 15:28:50 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4435. Mon Nov 07 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4435, Disc: Linguistics to Satisfy General Ed. Requirements

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Nov-2011
From: D. Eric Holt [holt at sc.edu]

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:28:17
From: D. Eric Holt [holt at sc.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4435.html&submissionid=4535364&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Dear colleagues,

The University of South Carolina is currently implementing a new set of
General Education requirements, and any course a unit would like to
have count towards fulfillment of these new requirements will need to
submit these courses (whether previously existing or newly proposed)
for vetting.

Depending on the content of courses in our program, linguistics
courses at the University of South Carolina may meet Humanities or
Social Science distribution requirements. I would like to know what
other university or college requirements linguistics courses at various
institutions are used to satisfy (but not for major or minor). Are
linguistics courses used elsewhere to meet requirements like Analytical
Reasoning or Science/Scientific Literacy/Reasoning? If so, were these
courses difficult to have designated this way, and how do these
courses differ from other/similar introductory courses?

If there are sufficient responses and interest, I'll be happy to post a
summary to the list.

D. Eric Holt, PhD
Director, Linguistics Program
University of South Carolina

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics