22.4611, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Internship, Microsoft

Fri Nov 18 16:59:55 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4611. Fri Nov 18 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4611, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Internship, Microsoft

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 16-Nov-2011
From: Colin Laird [internjb at microsoft.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Internship, Microsoft, Dublin, Ireland

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:59:04
From: Colin Laird [internjb at microsoft.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4611.html&submissionid=4536004&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Microsoft
Department: Language Technology Team
Job Location: Dublin, Ireland
Web Address: http://www.microsoft.com/en/ie/default.aspx
Job Rank: Internship

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Would you like the opportunity to contribute to Microsoft Natural Language
technology development? Are you interested in Natural Language
Processing and Computational Linguistics? Do you know what an
agglutinative language is and how it differs from other languages? If so, we
might just have the position for you.

The Language Technology Team (LTT) is a member of Information Worker
division of Microsoft responsible for providing Proofing Tools to several
Microsoft applications including Microsoft Office.

Our team is looking for a person that will help to evaluate the specifications
of proofing tools, conduct linguistic tests on newly created proofing tools
and support vendors creating these tools. If you have a passion for
language and technology, this is an ideal opportunity to gain experience in
the world of computational linguistics.

We also have a position available in Office Online focused on language
technology integration in the global content delivery and translation
process. Here we look at machine translation & post-editing, multilingual
search, controlled language and translation memory.

Responsibilities:
-  Review Linguistic documents\specifications for Spellers, Grammar
Checkers, Thesauri and Hyphenators
-  Work alongside linguistic vendors and Natural Language Group in US to
determine the quality of the Proofing Tools
-  Support vendors with linguistic issues/linguistic tool support and drive
issues to resolution
-  Look to improve linguistic processes within the project
-  Work on Machine translation, translation memory and controlled
language integration, validation and testing
-  Conduct research and pilots into novel uses of language technology in
translation and develop prototype tools and solutions

Requirements:
-  Current student of linguistics, computational linguistics or computer
science which includes natural language processing
-  Good communication skills are a must, both written and verbal
-  Good programming skills. Some knowledge of any of the following
languages: C#, Java, Visual Basic.Net or C++
-  Fluency of a foreign language would be advantageous but not essential

Note: This position is open for European Union Citizens undergraduate,
graduate and post-graduate students that have the ability to take a break in
their studies. The standard duration is 12 months but shorter time periods
can also be considered. You must be returning to full-time study after the
completion of the internship, the position is not open to applicants who have
already completed their degree, or will do so before the start of the
internship.

To apply please send your CV and Cover Letter to the application email
address below.

Email Address for Applications: internjb at microsoft.com
Contact Information:
	Colin Laird