22.4614, Jobs: German; Neurolinguistics: Postdoctoral Researcher, U of Marburg

Fri Nov 18 19:07:57 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4614. Fri Nov 18 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4614, Jobs: German; Neurolinguistics: Postdoctoral Researcher, U of Marburg

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 17-Nov-2011
From: Ina Bornkessel-Schlesewsky [iboke at staff.uni-marburg.de]
Subject: German; Neurolinguistics: Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Marburg, Germany

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:05:32
From: Ina Bornkessel-Schlesewsky [iboke at staff.uni-marburg.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4614.html&submissionid=4536105&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Marburg
Department: Department of Germanic Linguistics
Job Location: Marburg, Germany
Web Address: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb09/igs/
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Neurolinguistics

Required Language(s): German (deu)

The Department of Germanic Linguistics at the University of Marburg is
seeking to fill the position of a postdoctoral researcher (salary according to
EG 13 TV-H; i.e. approx. EUR 3110-3640 / month before taxes
commensurate with experience, amounting to approx. EUR 1844-2082 /
month after taxes and including health insurance) for the duration of three
years. Starting date: January 1st 2012 or soon thereafter.

The position is part of the research unit 'Exploring the building blocks of
language' ('Fundierung linguistischer Basiskategorien'; financed by the
German state of Hesse as part of the LOEWE programme), which aims to
identify empirically grounded concepts and categories for linguistic
theorising by combining empirical insights from neurolinguistics, language
acquisition, language variation and change as well as linguistic typology.
The postdoctoral researcher will conduct experiments on the learnability
(plasticity) of hypothesised fundamental building blocks in the domains of
phonology and the syntax-semantics interface using EEG and fMRI.
He/she will also assist other projects within the research unit with
experimental design and other methodology-related issues.

We offer excellent facilities for the study of language from a neuroscientific
perspective, including two EEG laboratories plus a mobile EEG setup, a
new research-dedicated 3T MRI scanner as well as eye-tracking and
reaction time laboratories.

The successful candidate will hold a PhD in linguistics, psychology or a
related field and will have prior experience with neuroscientific
methodologies in language processing. Experience with EEG-based
measures is particularly important, but additional familiarity with fMRI would
be beneficial. He/she will have a good knowledge of experimental design
and statistics and good programming skills. As some of the experimental
work within the resarch unit will involve different German dialects, a
willingness to travel and conduct mobile EEG experiments is essential. The
candidate should also have an excellent command of English, good
interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise students and research
assistants. Knowledge of German is not required when taking up the
position, but we do expect an interest in learning the language.
Applications should include the names and contact details of three
referees.

Any questions about the position may be directed to Prof. Ina Bornkessel-
Schlesewsky (iboke at staff.uni-marburg.de). Please send your application
via e-mail to Prof. Ina Bornkessel-Schlesewsky (iboke at staff.uni-
marburg.de), quoting reference  fb09-0019-wmz-2011. Review of
applications will begin immediately, but will continue until the position is
filled.

Email Address for Applications: iboke at staff.uni-marburg.de
Contact Information:
	Prof. Ina Bornkessel-Schlesewsky