22.4627, Jobs: Spanish; English; Literacy: Research Assistant, CUNY Grad Center

Sat Nov 19 22:51:32 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4627. Sat Nov 19 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4627, Jobs: Spanish; English; Literacy: Research Assistant, CUNY Grad Center

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 17-Nov-2011
From: Shannon Webb [shannonkwebb at gmail.com]
Subject: Spanish; English; Reading and Literacy: Research Assistant, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, USA

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:49:50
From: Shannon Webb [shannonkwebb at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4627.html&submissionid=4536125&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: CUNY Graduate Center
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: http://web.gc.cuny.edu/dept/lingu/rislus/
Job Rank: Research Assistant

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Reading and Literacy

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      Spanish (spa)

Research Assistants Needed

RISLUS and the Second Language Acquisition Lab at CUNY Graduate
Center are seeking RAs for a Language Assessment project.

The project focuses on the creation of a computer-adaptive literacy
assessment for Students with Interrupted Formal Education (SIFE). We are
seeking RAs interested in the study of bilingual literacy, low-literacy
adolescents and adults, reading research, assessment, and evaluation.

Your principal responsibility will be designing test items for an item bank.
This includes researching reading levels, finding and possibly adapting
culturally and linguistically appropriate materials, and collaborating with
other RAs on the task.

As an RA you will:
-  Have taken courses in reading development, language acquisition, or
bilingual education
-  Be interested in the development of literacy
-  Be aware of the challenges SIFE students encounter in the public school
system

Priority will be given to Native Spanish Speakers.

Hours and Compensation:
The position will be for up to 19 hours per week (negotiable) for a period of
32 weeks at a rate of $20 per hour ($12,160 total).

Start Date:
As soon as possible. Must be available during the month of January.

To Apply:
Please contact Dr. Gita Martohardjono and Shannon Webb with your C.V.
at the following addresses: GMartohardjono at gc.cuny.edu,
SWebb at gc.cuny.edu

Email Address for Applications: swebb at gc.cuny.edu
Contact Information: