22.4725, Jobs: Modified: Spanish; General Ling: Instructor, Carleton University

Mon Nov 28 17:21:57 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4725. Mon Nov 28 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4725, Jobs: Modified: Spanish; General Ling: Instructor, Carleton University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 20-Sep-2011
From: Randall Gess [randall_gess at carleton.ca]
Subject: Modified: Spanish; General Linguistics: Instructor, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:20:36
From: Randall Gess [randall_gess at carleton.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4725.html&submissionid=4532506&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Carleton University
Department: School of Linguistics and Language Studies
Job Location: Ottawa, Canada
Web Address: http://www1.carleton.ca/slals/
Job Rank: Instructor

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

**Please note the extended deadline and salary information.

Carleton University's School of Linguistics and Language Studies invites applications for a two-year term (non-continuing) position in Linguistics (Phonetics and Phonology) and Spanish at the level of Instructor I, commencing July 1, 2012. Native or native-like fluency in Spanish is required, and a Ph.D. or equivalent in Spanish Linguistics or related area with a specialization in phonetics and phonology is preferred.

This is a teaching position with a load of seven courses per year over Fall and Winter terms, with a possibility of one of the seven courses being scheduled for the Spring term (May-June), subject to preferences of the successful candidate and the needs of the School. The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate courses to a culturally diverse student body. Potential courses are, for the Linguistics program (taught in English): Phonetics, Phonology I, Phonology II, and Structure of Spanish; and for the Spanish program (taught in Spanish): Spanish language at one of four levels, Introduction to Spanish Linguistics, and topic(s) in Spanish Linguistics.

The School's programs in Linguistics and Spanish are housed in a unit representing a rich diversity of perspectives on language, with courses in these areas as well as Applied Linguistics and Discourse Studies, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), German, Italian, Japanese, and Russian, as well as Communication Courses for Disciplines and Professions and courses in English as a Second Language for international students, immigrants and refugees. Detailed information on the School can be found at http://www.carleton.ca/slals/.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, but in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Carleton University is an excellent employer with a very attractive package of benefits. The current salary floor (*minimum* starting salary - actual depends on a variety of factors) for Instructor I rank is $50,960 (CAD). More information on salaries and benefits can be found at http://www.cuasa.ca/career/salarybenefits.html.

Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our faculty and its scholarship, including but not limited to women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.

Carleton University is located on a beautiful campus in the central portion of Ottawa, bounded by the Rideau River on one side, and the Rideau Canal on the other. Its prime location -- minutes from downtown, an international airport, and the Gatineau Hills -- enhances quality of life, and allows for recreational opportunities for individuals and families. With a population of almost one million, the city of Ottawa is Canada's capital and reflects the country's bilingual and multicultural character.

Applications should be submitted to Professor Randall Gess at the application address or email address below. Letters of application should be accompanied by a curriculum vitae as well as a concise dossier that includes written evidence of teaching effectiveness. Three letters of reference should be sent directly to the Director. The closing date for receipt of applications, including the letters of reference, is January 27, 2012.

This position is subject to final budgetary approval.

Application Deadline: 27-Jan-2012
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Randall Gess, Director
	School of Linguistics and Language Studies
	215 Paterson Hall, Carleton University
	1125 Colonel By Drive
	Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6
	Canada