22.4733, Jobs: Modified: Chair, University of Alberta

Mon Nov 28 18:15:43 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4733. Mon Nov 28 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4733, Jobs: Modified: Chair, University of Alberta

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 21-Nov-2011
From:  Cormack [amber.wood at ualberta.ca]
Subject: Modified: Chair, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:14:35
From:  Cormack [amber.wood at ualberta.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4733.html&submissionid=4536324&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Alberta
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Web Address: http://www.ualberta.ca/
Job Rank: Chair of Department

Specialty Areas: Teaching and Research

We invite applications for the position of Department Chair with tenure at the
associate or full professor level. The Department consists of 11 full-time
continuing faculty members & is home to 40 graduate students at the
Masters and PhD level. The Depart. has a strong commitment to empirical &
experimental approaches to linguistic research and its members conduct
investigations in phonetics, themorphosyntax & semantics of Amerindian
languages, child bilingual acquisition, child language impairment, corpus
linguistics, psycholinguistics, phonology, cognitive linguistics, child & adult
2nd language acquisition, language documentation & revitalization,
computational historical linguistics, & sociolinguistics.
www.linguistics.ualberta.ca.

The Chair will be someone with a strong sense of collaborative leadership & a
clear commitment to continuing to develop the Department's standing within
the University, Canada, & internationally on the cutting edge of data-centered
approaches to the study of human language & linguistic development. The
Chair will support a culture of grantsmanship & will contribute to the
development of graduate & undergraduate programs in the Dept. & will foster
the activities of the in-house research facilities-the Centre for Comparative
Psycholinguistics, the Language Documentation Research Cluster, Alberta
Phonetics Lab & the Language Acquisition Lab; an active participation in one
or more of these groups would be expected. Candidates with demonstrated
admin experience will be preferred, must hold the PhD together with a
distinguished record in university teaching and research (including a strong
track record of appropriate grant activity) in areas of interest to the
Department. The successful candidate should have strong interpersonal
communication skills & a commitment to excellence in teaching & research,
as well as a scholarly track record suitable for appointment at a senior rank.

The UofA is situated in Edmonton, a metropolitan area of over 1 million with a
vibrant artistic community & excellent standard of living. Established in 1908
as a board-governed public institution, the UofA has earned the reputation of
being one of the top five universities in Canada based on its strengths in
teaching, research & service. The UofA serves over 38,000 students in more
than 200 undergraduate and 170 graduate programs(http://www.ualberta.ca). The
Faculty of Arts is the oldest & most diverse faculty on campus, & one of the
largest research & teaching centres in western Canada (http://www.arts.ualberta.ca).

Salary is negotiable & will be commensurate with experience. This
competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. The selection
committee will begin consideration of candidates December 31, 2011. To
receive consideration, applications (including an up-to-date curriculum vitae &
the names of at least three referees), nominations, or expressions of interest
should be submitted in confidence to the application address below with the
following reference information: Competition No.: A107315909. All qualified
candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians & permanent
residents will be given priority. The UofA hires on the basis of merit. We are
committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity &
encourage applications from all qualified women & men, including persons
with disabilities, members of visible minorities, & Aboriginal persons.

Application Deadline: 31-Jan-2012 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dean Lesley B. Cormack
	Faculty of Arts
	6-33 Humanities Centre