22.3846, Disc: Re: Sociolinguistics: Field Methods Course

Tue Oct 4 16:02:02 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3846. Tue Oct 04 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3846, Disc: Re: Sociolinguistics: Field Methods Course

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Sep-2011
From: Julie Auger [jauger at indiana.edu]
Subject: Re: Sociolinguistics: Field Methods Course

Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 12:00:53
From: Julie Auger [jauger at indiana.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3846.html&submissionid=4532901&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Dear colleagues,

Next spring, I am scheduled to teach a capstone class that will focus on
field methods in sociolinguistics.  As far as I know, such a class has never
been taught at Indiana University.  While I had a chance to take such a
class with Bill Labov more than 20 years ago and could certainly use some
elements from that class in creating my own class, I figured that some of
you may have more recent experience with such classes and might be
willing to share syllabi, tips, ideas, etc.

I haven't decided, yet, what the specific topic of our project will be.  It could
focus on the speech of native Bloomingtonians, investigate gender
differences, or the ways in which certain speech acts differ across various
social groups, etc.

Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Julie

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics