22.3857, Diss: Historical Ling/Morphology/Greek: Karatsareas: 'A Study of ...'

Tue Oct 4 18:09:44 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3857. Tue Oct 04 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3857, Diss: Historical Ling/Morphology/Greek: Karatsareas: 'A Study of ...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 28-Sep-2011
From: Petros Karatsareas [pk299 at cam.ac.uk]
Subject: A Study of Cappadocian Greek Nominal Morphology from a Diachronic and Dialectological Perspective

Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:06:07
From: Petros Karatsareas [pk299 at cam.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3857.html&submissionid=4532881&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Cambridge
Program: PhD in Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2011

Author: Petros Karatsareas

Dissertation Title: A Study of Cappadocian Greek Nominal Morphology from a
Diachronic and Dialectological Perspective

Dissertation URL:  http://cambridge.academia.edu/karatsareas/Papers

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Morphology

Subject Language(s): Greek, Cappadocian (cpg)

Language Family(ies): Indo-European

Dissertation Director(s):
Bert Vaux

Dissertation Abstract:

In this dissertation, I investigate a number of interrelated developments affecting
the morphosyntax of nouns in Cappadocian Greek. I specifically focus on the
development of differential object marking, the loss of grammatical gender
distinctions, and the neuterisation of noun inflection. My aim is to provide a
diachronic account of the innovations that Cappadocian has undergone in the
three domains mentioned above. Αll the innovations examined in this study have
the effect of rendering the morphology and syntax of nouns in Cappadocian more
like that of neuters. On account of the historical and sociolinguistic
circumstances in which Cappadocian developed as well as of the superficial
similarity of their outcomes to equivalent structures in Turkish, previous research
has overwhelmingly treated the Cappadocian developments as instances of
contact-induced change that resulted from the influence of Turkish. In this study,
I examine the Cappadocian innovations from a language-internal point of view
and in comparison with parallel developments attested in the other Modern
Greek dialects of Asia Minor, namely Pontic, Rumeic, Pharasiot and Silliot. My
comparative analysis of a wide range of dialect-internal, cross-dialectal and
cross-linguistic typological evidence shows that language contact with Turkish
can be identified as the main cause of change only in the case of differential
object marking. On the other hand, with respect to the origins of the most
pervasive innovations in gender and noun inflection, I argue that they go back to
the common linguistic ancestor of the modern Asia Minor Greek dialects and do
not owe their development to language contact with Turkish. I show in detail that
the superficial similarity of these latter innovations' outcomes to their Turkish
equivalents in each case represents the final stage in a long series of
typologically plausible, language-internal developments whose early
manifestations predate the intensification of Cappadocian-Turkish linguistic and
cultural exchange. These findings show that diachronic change in Cappadocian
is best understood when examined within a larger Asia Minor Greek context. On
the whole, they make a significant contribution to our knowledge of the history of
Cappadocian and the Asia Minor Greek dialects as well as to Modern Greek
dialectology more generally, and open a fresh round of discussion on the origin
and development of other innovations attested in these dialects that are
considered by historical linguists and Modern Greek dialectologists to be
untypically Greek or contact-induced or both.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/