22.3890, Jobs: African Langs: Lecturer/Sr Lecturer/Assoc Prof, U of Cape Town

Thu Oct 6 16:10:43 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3890. Thu Oct 06 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3890, Jobs: African Langs: Lecturer/Sr Lecturer/Assoc Prof, U of Cape Town

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 05-Oct-2011
From: Melanie Falken [melanie.falken at uct.ac.za]
Subject: African Languages: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, University of Cape Town, South Africa

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:05:37
From: Melanie Falken [melanie.falken at uct.ac.za]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3890.html&submissionid=4533508&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Cape Town
Department: The School of Education
Job Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Web Address: http://www.humanities.uct.ac.za
Job Rank: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor

Specialty Areas: African Languages

Required Language(s): Afroasiatic

Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor
School of Education
Faculty of Humanities

The School of Education invites applications for up to two posts for
appointment as soon as possible.

The School of Education, which celebrates its centenary in 2011, is a largely
postgraduate interdisciplinary department in the Faculty of Humanities with
research and teaching across a number of fields including curriculum and
pedagogy, policy and learning.

The School is planning to introduce an Advanced Diploma in Foundation
Phase teaching (formerly PGCE) programme in 2013. A successful candidate
will be expected to:
-  Provide leadership (including convenorship, senior posts only) in the design
and development of this programme
-  Teach on the Foundation Phase Advanced Diploma programme
-  Contribute to postgraduate teaching and research in primary education
-  Carry out teaching practice supervision in schools
-  Mentor Foundation Phase students during their progress from their
undergraduate degree to the Advanced Diploma
-  Contribute to Advanced Certificate and short course teaching in Foundation
Phase

Requirements include:
-  For Lecturer level, a Master's degree; for Senior Lecturer level, a PhD close
to completion; for Associate Professor level, a PhD
-  Appropriate standing within the field
-  A track record of research-based refereed publications, appropriate to the
rank applied for
-  Supervision of student research and higher degrees, appropriate to the rank
applied for
-  A demonstrable strong research interest in numeracy or literacy

Fluency in isiXhosa and school-based experience at the Foundation Phase
would be a strong recommendation.

Appointment will take place in alignment with the Faculty's expectations for
performance at each rank.

The respective annual remuneration packages, including benefits, for 2011 is
as follows:

Lecturer:  R403 124
Senior Lecturer:  R494 716
Associate Professor:  R566 102

Enquiries about this position should be directed to Professor Rudi Laugksch,
Director: School of Education at Rudiger.Laugksch at uct.ac.za

Application process:
To apply, please e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other
relevant documentation as indicated on the form, to Ms M Falken, Staff
Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch 7700.

E-mail: melanie.falken at uct.ac.za; Telephone: +27 21 650 5764; Website:
http://www.humanities.uct.ac.za

The application form can also be downloaded at
http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc

An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be
regarded as incomplete.

Reference number for this position: SR197/11

UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our
Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php

Application Deadline: 28-Oct-2011

Web Address for Applications: http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc
Contact Information: