22.3907, Qs: Can you read lips (English)?

Thu Oct 6 18:30:17 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3907. Thu Oct 06 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3907, Qs: Can you read lips (English)?

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Oct-2011
From: Eleni Paparidou [e.paparidou at edu.salford.ac.uk]
Subject: Can you read lips (English)?

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:29:57
From: Eleni Paparidou [e.paparidou at edu.salford.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3907.html&submissionid=4533624&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am a postgraduate student at Salford University. I would really
appreciate your help if possible. If you know how to lip read, can you
become a participant to my online test?

The link is
http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=lip-reading-from-
pugh--3d-animated-character-2

The test takes almost 20 minute to complete. This project focuses on
lip reading and deafness. The question of the online test is: Can you lip
read from a 3D animated character as well as from a real person?

I would be very grateful if you could participate or forward this test to
anyone who knows how to lip read. It is very difficult to recruit
participants and that is why I would be very glad if you  could help me.
This research is done in order to see if we can built a 3D software
programme for deaf children in UK.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Translation