22.3947, Media: Is Speech Regulation the Sewage Control of Society?

Mon Oct 10 14:10:55 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3947. Mon Oct 10 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3947, Media: Is Speech Regulation the Sewage Control of Society?

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Woo <bwoo at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Oct-2011
From: Brent Woo [bwoo at linguistlist.org]

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:10:17
From: Brent Woo [bwoo at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3947.html&submissionid=4533723&topicid=21&msgnumber=1
 Dr. Annabelle Lukin, a lecturer in linguistics at Macquarie University in Australia, likens speech regulations to sewage control: "Dumping of pollution is subject to regulation because of its effects on our physical environment... When we regulate speech, it is for the protection of the social environment."

The comments section reveals a wide range of opinions about how appropriate the comparison is. Sociolinguists and politicians alike have much to say about "freedom of speech", especially in the face of "political correctness."

Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3337882.html

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics