22.3956, Jobs: Classical Arabic Ling/Lit: Asst Prof, American U of Sharjah

Mon Oct 10 20:57:26 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3956. Mon Oct 10 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3956, Jobs: Classical Arabic Ling/Lit: Asst Prof, American U of Sharjah

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 09-Oct-2011
From: Rounak Husni [rhusni at aus.edu]
Subject: Classical Arabic Literature and/or Arabic Linguistics: Assistant Professor, American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:55:13
From: Rounak Husni [rhusni at aus.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3956.html&submissionid=4533781&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: American University of Sharjah
Department: Arabic & Translation Studies
Job Location: Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Web Address: http://www.aus.edu
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Ling & Literature; Classical Arabic Literature and/or Arabic Linguistics

Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
                      English (eng)

Faculty Position in the Department of Arabic and Translation Studies:

The Department of Arabic and Translation Studies in the American University
of Sharjah invites applications for a faculty position in Arabic Studies at the
rank of Assistant professor, beginning in the fall, 2012.

The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Arabic studies with special
emphasis in classical Arabic literature and/or Arabic linguistics. Native or
near-native proficiency in Arabic is required, while being able to teach fluently
in English. Experience in teaching Arabic language to native and non-native
speakers will be advantages. We are especially interested in candidates with
demonstrated experience in a liberal arts college environment. Strong
scholarly potential and good teaching record expected. The successful
candidate will join a department with an expanding agenda dealing with the
teaching of Arabic as a foreign language and international education. As well,
the successful candidate will be able to play a role in the development of an
interdisciplinary program in Middle Eastern Studies.

AUS is located in the emirate of Sharjah, adjacent to Dubai, UAE. Founded in
1997 by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qassimi, AUS is
an independent, not-for-profit coeducational university in the Gulf, serving
some 5,500 students of 82 nationalities. The American University of Sharjah
(AUS) is accredited by the Commission of Higher Education of the Middle
States Association of Colleges and Schools.

Review of applications will begin immediately. For full consideration,
applications must be received before December 15, 2011. Interested
applicants should send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, a statement of
research, a statement of teaching philosophy, and three letters of
recommendation to Dr. Mark Rush, Dean, College of Arts & Sciences, e-mail:
cashr at aus.edu.

Application Deadline: 15-Dec-2011

Email Address for Applications: cashr at aus.edu
Contact Information: