22.3990, Media: Language and the Unconscious

Wed Oct 12 17:59:20 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3990. Wed Oct 12 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3990, Media: Language and the Unconscious

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Woo <bwoo at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Oct-2011
From: Brent Woo [bwoo at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Language and the Unconscious

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:58:20
From: Brent Woo [bwoo at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3990.html&submissionid=4534006&topicid=21&msgnumber=1
 In a conversation with Ehsan Azari Stanizai discussing French psychiatrist Jacques Lacan, the relationship of language to the (un)conscious is touched on.

"...this unconscious is always producing its effect in these linguistic tropes and also in the gaps, and also in the lapses in our speaking, or in our written discourse, or in our spoken discourse; those things that we are not talking... when language fails to produce its effect as a communicative means, then that is the eruption of unconscious."

Is this related to Chomsky's idea of E- and I-Language?

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ehsan-azari/lacan-western-philosophy-_b_988290.html

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Psycholinguistics