22.4002, Qs: Help Participate in English Perception

Thu Oct 13 14:32:52 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4002. Thu Oct 13 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4002, Qs: Help Participate in English Perception

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Oct-2011
From: Rongjia CUI [r.cui at hum.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: Help Participate in English Perception

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:32:41
From: Rongjia CUI [r.cui at hum.leidenuniv.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4002.html&submissionid=4534041&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear Linguist,

I'd like to ask you for your help. Can you please ask your Native
American English friends or students to take part in my experiments?

My perception experiments were made online with the help of our Lab
engineer. There are 3 smaller experiments. The links are:

<http://fonetiek.ullet.net/cui/epe/index1.html> (to listen and judge
English vowels)
<http://fonetiek.ullet.net/cui/epe/index2.html> (to listen and judge
English consonants at the beginning of a word)
<http://fonetiek.ullet.net/cui/epe/index3.html> (to listen and judge
English consonants at the end of a word)

There are a few points to tell your friends/students first:
-- Only the native speaker of American English can do the experiments,
which means they have to choose this option at the section of
questionnaire.
-- Only the Internet Explorer (IE) can be used. The experiments won't
run on other browsers like Firefox or Google Chrome, because of our
low-technique.
-- Computers with a bigger screen are preferred since bigger screen
can display the complete table.
-- At the very beginning, there might be an error message saying
something about .xml file, click OK to continue. The experiment runs
after this.

It is best that the same person does all the three experiments, of
course one after another, but not at the same go. It will be tiring if one
person tries two of the experiments at one go.

I very much appreciate your help. This means a lot to my dissertation,
and of course to my research.

Best Wishes,
Rongjia CUI
<r.cui at hum.leidenuniv.nl>
A PhD student at the Phonetics Lab of Leiden University, Leiden, the
Netherlands

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics