22.4026, Jobs: Comp Ling; Int'l Project Engineer 2, Microsoft Corporation

Fri Oct 14 18:55:20 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4026. Fri Oct 14 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4026, Jobs: Comp Ling; Int'l Project Engineer 2, Microsoft Corporation

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Oct-2011
From:  NLG Linguistic Jobs [nlglingjobs at microsoft.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; International Project Engineer 2, Microsoft Corporation, Washington, USA

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:54:13
From:  NLG Linguistic Jobs [nlglingjobs at microsoft.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4026.html&submissionid=4534183&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Microsoft Corporation
Department: Microsoft Office Division - Natural Language Group
Job Location: Washington, USA
Web Address: http://www.microsoft.com
Job Rank: International Project Engineer 2

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Do you have a passion for language and technology? Do you love figuring out
how to apply the latest research in practical ways? Do you want to provide
groundbreaking user experiences to a worldwide audience?

The Natural Language Group (NLG), part of the Office Division, is looking for
a talented computational linguist to help design, build and evaluate the next
generation of high quality intelligent productivity software in a significant
number of languages markets. NLG ships features in a wide range of
products. We are passionate about leveraging state of the art techniques, like
Machine Learning, to deliver exciting natural language related technologies in
the Office ecosystem to benefit millions of customers across the globe. If
you share that passion, you are a great candidate for the NLG team!

This position offers a great opportunity to join a talented engineering team at
the forefront of developing natural language technology for Microsoft
products. We have expertise in shipping software with high linguistic quality
for multiple languages in areas such as spellchecking, grammar checking,
statistical language models and other data-driven approaches, e-mail
prioritization, named entity recognition, and much more.

Required qualifications include:
-  Advanced degree in Computational Linguistics, Linguistics, or related
technical field
-  2 years of experience using C++ and/or C#
-  1 year of software industry experience
-  Familiarity with the literature in the areas mentioned above
-  Detail-oriented, results-driven individual with strong cross-group
collaboration and strong communication skills
-  Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas and innovate

The following qualifications are preferred:
-  Native proficiency in a language other than English
-  Experience developing or evaluating commercial or high-quality research
software
-  Experience developing GUI tools

Please search on Job Code 771979

Web Address for Applications: http://careers.microsoft.com/gclp.aspx