22.4061, Qs: Lexical attrition in Silesia and Okinawa

Tue Oct 18 14:11:19 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4061. Tue Oct 18 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4061, Qs: Lexical attrition in Silesia and Okinawa

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 17-Oct-2011
From: Robert McColl Millar [r.millar at abdn.ac.uk]
Subject: Lexical attrition in Silesia and Okinawa

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:11:14
From: Robert McColl Millar [r.millar at abdn.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4061.html&submissionid=4534386&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am presently putting together a bid for funding for a project dealing with
lexical attrition where the dialect under threat is a (close) relative of the
language of state. The project is intended to extend beyond Europe. At
present I am considering the Scots of Orkney (in relation to Scottish
Standard English), Silesian dialect (in relation to Standard Polish) and
Okinawan (in relation to Standard Japanese).

If you know of work done on lexical attrition in Silesian or Okinawan or
you would be interested in collaboration, please let me know.

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/