22.4080, FYI: New and Improved Experimental Syntax Tool

Wed Oct 19 16:29:02 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4080. Wed Oct 19 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4080, FYI: New and Improved Experimental Syntax Tool

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Oct-2011
From: James Myers [Lngmyers at ccu.edu.tw]
Subject: New and Improved Experimental Syntax Tool

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:28:39
From: James Myers [Lngmyers at ccu.edu.tw]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4080.html&submissionid=4534443&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

MiniJudge 2.0, the latest version of a software tool for designing,
running, and analyzing small-scale syntactic acceptability judgment
experiments, is available for download:

MiniJudge 2.0: www.ccunix.ccu.edu.tw/~lngproc/MiniJudgeJava2.htm
Earlier versions: www.ccunix.ccu.edu.tw/~lngproc/MiniJudge.htm

Like all previous versions, MiniJudge 2.0 remains free and open-
source, but it has been totally redesigned to increase flexibility and
ease of use:

- has a new visually intuitive interface for generalizing a basic sentence
set to new sets
- distributes surveys not only on paper and in a lab setting, but also via
a dedicated website
- communicates directly with R for statistical analysis

While we think MiniJudge 2.0 is already a very useful tool, for both
students and experienced syntacticians who want to double-check
fuzzy judgments, we are always looking for ways to improve it. (One
known limitation is that it currently requires Windows or Linux - sorry!)
So please try it out and give us your comments and suggestions - or,
since it's open source, take what you like and build an even better tool!

James Myers
Graduate Institute of Linguistics
National Chung Cheng University
Minhsiung, Chiayi  62102