22.4096, FYI: Free Articles from the Journal of Sociolinguistics

Thu Oct 20 14:38:53 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4096. Thu Oct 20 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4096, FYI: Free Articles from the Journal of Sociolinguistics

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Oct-2011
From: Lisa Evans [levans at wiley.com]

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:38:37
From: Lisa Evans [levans at wiley.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4096.html&submissionid=4534508&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

To mark the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the NWAV (New Ways
of Analyzing Variation) conference, the Journal of Sociolinguistics has
assembled a virtual issue that highlights a few key contributions to our
understanding of sociolinguistic variation, all published in the Journal of
Sociolinguistics starting with its first issue in 1997.

The collection points to a number of theoretical insights and analytic
innovations, often first presented at NWAV and then disseminated
through the Journal. These themes include the study of vernacular
speech, standard language, change in real and apparent time,
language ideology, ethnicity, gender, power, authenticity, globalization,
bilingualism, acquisition of variation, social meaning, indexicality,
perception, cognition, and the birth of new dialects.

Read this virtual issue for free at:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-
9841/homepage/virtual_issue.htm

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics