22.4287, Jobs: Chinese Language and Culture: Rank Open, Michigan State U

Sat Oct 29 22:47:19 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4287. Sat Oct 29 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4287, Jobs: Chinese Language and Culture: Rank Open, Michigan State U

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 28-Oct-2011
From: Talisha Winston [revierew at msu.edu]
Subject: Chinese Language and Culture: Rank Open, Michigan State University, USA

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:46:20
From: Talisha Winston [revierew at msu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4287.html&submissionid=4535074&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Michigan State University
Department: Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic, Asian, & African Languages
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: http://linglang.msu.edu/
Job Rank: Rank Open

Specialty Areas: Chinese Language and Culture

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)

Michigan State University, a leader in global education is pleased to invite
applications (open rank) for our growing Chinese language and culture
program. The ideal candidate will provide strong, innovative leadership for the
Chinese Program in the Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic,
Asian and African Languages in the College of Arts & Letters beginning
August 16, 2012. Rank and salary are commensurate with experience. PhD
required. We seek a dynamic faculty member with primary interests and
extensive experience in the teaching and learning of Chinese culture with a
commitment to innovative language study. Experience with a variety of
teaching methods and curricular perspectives is desirable. The successful
candidate will benefit from a rich supportive language and culture community
that includes the Center for Language Teaching Advancement, a strong
Second Language Studies doctoral program, world-renowned study abroad
initiatives, a wide variety of cross-disciplinary initiatives led by MSU's Office
of China Programs, a Confucius Institute in the College of Education, and the
Asian Studies Center. We welcome applicants whose research would
especially benefit from collaborative opportunities in an interdisciplinary work
environment and who have a good record of obtaining external funding.
Strong interest in fostering collaborative opportunities and strategic
partnerships with key Chinese research and educational institutions as well
as an interest in building cultural, economic and civic bridges between China
and the State of Michigan is expected.

Teaching responsibilities will include Chinese language and culture courses in
the Chinese Program, as well as Integrated Arts and Humanities or Global
Studies courses on Chinese or Asian culture in the global context. Applicants
should submit: a current CV, writing sample, statement of research interests,
statement of teaching philosophy, and three letters of reference. Applicants
who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents must provide
documentation evidencing employment authorization in the United States.

Review of applications will begin November 7, 2011 and will continue until the
position is filled. In addition to applying online, send all materials to the
application address below. Persons with disabilities have the right to request
and receive reasonable accommodation.

All applications for this positions (#5366) must be submitted electronically at
the Michigan State Human Resources website, see application URL below.

MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed
to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively
encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color,
veterans and persons with disabilities.

Application Deadline: 07-Nov-2011 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Thomas Lovik
	Chinese Language Teaching Position
	Department of Linguistics and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages
	A-614 Wells Hall, Michigan State University
	East Lansing, MI 48824-1027
	USA
Web Address for Applications: http://jobs.msu.edu/
Contact Information: