22.4290, Jobs: Comp Ling; Text Data Mining: Post Doc, INALCO CNRS UMR SEDYL

Sat Oct 29 22:56:19 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-4290. Sat Oct 29 2011. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 22.4290, Jobs: Comp Ling; Text Data Mining: Post Doc, INALCO CNRS UMR SEDYL

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 28-Oct-2011
From: Isabelle LEGLISE [leglise at vjf.cnrs.fr]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Text Data Mining: Post Doc, INALCO CNRS UMR SEDYL, Paris - Campus CNRS de Villejuif, France

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:55:16
From: Isabelle LEGLISE [leglise at vjf.cnrs.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-4290.html&submissionid=4535068&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: INALCO CNRS UMR SEDYL
Department: LABEX EFL
Job Location: Paris - Campus CNRS de Villejuif, France
Web Address: http://sedyl.vjf.cnrs.fr/
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text Data Mining; Computer Science

Postdoctoral research fellow : Text data mining applied to heterogeneous and
multilingual corpora

We offer a 12 months postdoc position in text data mining within the 10-year
LABEX project 'Empirical foundations of linguistics' (LABEX EFL) that started
in 2011. The position is based in Paris, at the UMR SEDYL (CNRS-INALCO-
IRD). It is linked to the strand «Typology and dynamics of linguistic
systems» of this project, and more specifically to the research programme
supervised by Isabelle Léglise: Multifactorial Analysis of language contact &
language changes (LC1).

The candidate should have a PhD in computational linguistics/computer
science, and should be an expert in the field of data mining, preferably on a
linguistic field of application (text mining, natural language processing)
involving large-dimension data/texts. The candidate should have experience
of XML format. A knowledge of TEI standards will be a plus. S/he must know
how to program in C language; C ++ or Java. S/he will use the relational
model of databases and the SQL language; knowledge of MySQL is an
advantage. An interest for linguistic diversity is a good point.

This task consists in developing functions of search/data mining applied to
language contact corpora, that is to transcriptions of non-homogeneous and
mixed verbal productions collected in multilingual areas (38 languages from
all continents involved). This scenario is traditionally little taken into account
by the algorithms of computational linguistics (grammatical inference or
lexical labeling). We expect to find correlations of certain categories, or
certain syntactical positions, with language contact or language change
phenomena.

Given the large number of variables to be analyzed, with regard to the size of
the corpus (large number of samples), we will need to explore approaches in
data dimensionality reduction such as 'manifold learning'.

Duration: 12 months, starting December 2011 or January 2012. It is a full-
time position

Salary: 24 000 EUR/year

More information on the position can be found at
http://www.labex-efl.org/?q=en/hiring/lc1 or by contacting Isabelle Léglise
(leglise at vjf.cnrs.fr) and Pascal Vaillant (vaillant at vjf.cnrs.fr).

If you are interested, please send a CV (including a publication list), a letter
of application and the names of two referents to:

Isabelle Léglise (leglise at vjf.cnrs.fr), Pascal Vaillant (vaillant at vjf.cnrs.fr) &
Anaid Donabédian (adonabedian at inalco.fr)

Application Deadline: 10-Nov-2011

Email Address for Applications: leglise at vjf.cnrs.fr