22.3460, Jobs: Latin American Indigenous Langs: Asst Prof, U of Texas at Austin

Fri Sep 2 17:21:24 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3460. Fri Sep 02 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3460, Jobs: Latin American Indigenous Langs: Asst Prof, U of Texas at Austin

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 02-Sep-2011
From: Charles R. Hale [clanas at austin.utexas.edu]
Subject: Latin American Indigenous Languages: Assistant Professor, University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:19:46
From: Charles R. Hale [clanas at austin.utexas.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3460.html&submissionid=4531061&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Texas at Austin
Department: LLILAS
Job Location: Texas, USA
Web Address: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/insts/llilas/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Latin American Indigenous languages

The Teresa Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies (LLILAS), in
collaboration with the Department of Linguistics and the Department of
Spanish and Portuguese in College of Liberal Arts, seeks applications for a
tenure-track position, with preference for advanced assistant professors.
The successful candidate will have deep research experience among
indigenous peoples of Latin America (preferentially highland Andes, but
other areas also considered). Disciplinary expertise may be in a range of
areas, with placement in either the Department of Linguistics or the
Department of Spanish and Portuguese. We seek an individual who will
complement an outstanding faculty in the linguistics of indigenous Latin
American languages, and related disciplines, and will play a central role
in building Native American and Indigenous Studies at UT. We are especially
interested in candidates with a demonstrated engagement with indigenous
language instruction. The successful candidate will take on
responsibilities for catalyzing and supervising the indigenous language
instruction program of LLILAS (focused on Maya-K'iche', Quechua and
possibly others). Teaching commitments will be divided between the
candidate's home department and LLILAS. Duties include undergraduate and
graduate teaching, research, publication and service to the Department, the
Institute, College of Liberal Arts, and the University.

All applicants must hold a Ph.D. or expect to obtain it within a year of
joining the faculty as Instructor. Evidence of outstanding research
potential and teaching excellence are also required of the successful
candidate.

To apply, please send statement of interest, vitae, and the names of three
letters of recommendation to the application address or application email
address below.

The priority deadline for applications is November 15, 2011, but
submissions after that date will be accepted until the position is filled.

This position is pending budgetary approval. A background check will be
conducted for successful applicant. AA/EEO employer.

Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2011 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Charles R. Hale
	Search Committee Chair
	SRH 1.310/D0800