22.3539, Jobs: Arabic: Instructor/Contract Instructor, Carleton University

Fri Sep 9 20:51:46 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3539. Fri Sep 09 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3539, Jobs: Arabic: Instructor/Contract Instructor, Carleton University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 09-Sep-2011
From: Randall Gess [randall_gess at carleton.ca]
Subject: Arabic: Instructor/Contract Instructor, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:50:23
From: Randall Gess [randall_gess at carleton.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3539.html&submissionid=4531581&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Carleton University
Department: School of Linguistics and Language Studies
Job Location: Ottawa, Canada
Job Rank: Instructor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

The School of Linguistics and Language Studies at Carleton University is
seeking an Arabic language instructor for Winter 2012. The instructor will be
responsible for one intensive second-year level Arabic language course.
Classes for this intensive language course will meet three times per week
(twice a week for 3 hours; once a week for 2 hours). The course must include
instruction in the four basic skills - reading, writing, listening and speaking -
using the communicative approach to language teaching. Formal evaluation
of all four skills is mandatory through oral and written tests and examinations.
The class should be taught mainly in Arabic. The salary is $12,662 for the
course. Qualifications include native or near-native competency in Arabic and
previous experience teaching Arabic at the high school, college or university
level, or experience related to the formal analysis of Arabic such as linguistic
research or translation.

Although this is a one-course contract position, there may be possibilities for
more courses, including in the Linguistics program, in the 2012/13 academic
year, for a candidate with a strong background in both Arabic and Linguistics.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, but in accordance with
Canadian immigration requirements, applications from Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. Carleton University is strongly
committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of
excellence, cultural enrichment and social strength. We welcome those who
would contribute to the further diversification of our faculty and its
scholarship, including but not limited to women, visible minorities, Aboriginal
peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or
gender identity.

If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and
names of two references to Randall Gess, Director, either by e-mail or post to
the application addresses below.

For more information on the position, please contact Randall Gess at the
email address below.

Application Deadline: 07-Oct-2011
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Randall Gess, Director
	School of Linguistics and Language Studies
	215 Paterson Hall
	1125 Colonel By Drive
	Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6
	Canada