22.3592, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, North Side Inc.

Thu Sep 15 14:31:27 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3592. Thu Sep 15 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3592, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, North Side Inc.

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Sep-2011
From: Eugene Joseph [eugene at northsideinc.com]
Subject: English; Computational Linguistics: Programmer, North Side Inc., Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:29:50
From: Eugene Joseph [eugene at northsideinc.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3592.html&submissionid=4532022&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: North Side Inc.
Job Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Web Address: http://northsideinc.com
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Java Developer - NLP (Natural Language Processing)

North Side Inc., of Montreal, Canada is developing a real-time natural
language dialogue pipeline that includes parsing, disambiguation and co-
reference resolution, reasoning and dialog management. Server-based, this
language pipeline will be enable computers to converse with people on a
wide-range of day-to-day topics.

The first application of this language processing pipeline will be the Bot
Colony video game. Bot Colony (www.botcolony.com) is an online adventure
game, with the distinction of being the first video game leveraging intelligent
English conversation with the player as an integral part of game play. For
background information, please Google 'Bot Colony' and watch the Bot
Colony trailer and E3 tech-demo.

We have two openings for Computational Linguists in our Montreal facility for
work involving Word Sense Disambiguation and Corpus processing, and
knowledge-acquisition. The following qualifications are desirable:

-  Computational Linguistics background (M.Sc. or Ph.D.)
-  Strong Java skills
-  Object-oriented databases desirable (or SQL experience)
-  Experience with ontologies
-  Experience in disambiguation (WSD)
-  Experience processing corpora
-  Experience in building and managing lexical resources
-  Good general understanding of syntax, semantics and pragmatics issues
and a good knowledge of English grammar

The working environment at North Side is relaxed and dynamic. You will be
part of a growing, multi-disciplinary team working on language R&D, 3D
graphics, gameplay development (the game is scripted in natural language)
and artists. The initial version of the game is undergoing testing, and we hope
to start the closed-Beta in the near future.

Email Address for Applications: eugene at northsideinc.com
Contact Information:
	Eugene Joseph
	Email: eugene at northsideinc.com