22.3696, FYI: Capek Sentence Diagramming Editor

Thu Sep 22 17:07:49 UTC 2011

LINGUIST List: Vol-22-3696. Thu Sep 22 2011. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 22.3696, FYI: Capek Sentence Diagramming Editor

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Sep-2011
From: Barbora Hladka [hladka at ufal.mff.cuni.cz]
Subject: Capek Sentence Diagramming Editor

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:07:16
From: Barbora Hladka [hladka at ufal.mff.cuni.cz]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=22-3696.html&submissionid=4532504&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear colleagues,

We have been developing Capek - an annotation editor tailored to
schoolchildren. It allows them to practice morphology and syntax in a
similar way as they normally do at (a Czech) school with a paper and
pencil.

We use the editor to explore a new way to get more morphologically
and syntactically annotated data by transforming their annotation into a
more linguistically appropriate schema. We have been testing it for
the Czech language and the Prague Dependency Treebank annotation
schema. However, the editor is designed to be language independent.

Could you please help us with the following questions?

1. Is sentence diagramming taught in your country? If yes, at which
level (elementary, secondary, college)?

2. Can you see the editor Capek useful? Do you know of anybody who
could use it?

For more details see http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/styx/capek_en.html.

All best,

Jirka Hana and Barbora Hladka

Charles University in Prague
Czech republic

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Morphology
                     Syntax