23.2032, Jobs: Phonetics; Phonogy; Speech Technology: Linguist, Sensory, Inc.
linguist at linguistlist.org
linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 25 17:33:51 UTC 2012
LINGUIST List: Vol-23-2032. Wed Apr 25 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.
Subject: 23.2032, Jobs: Phonetics; Phonogy; Speech Technology: Linguist, Sensory, Inc.
Moderators: Anthony Aristar, Eastern Michigan U <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry, Eastern Michigan U <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Reviews: Veronika Drake, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison
<reviews at linguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing the
discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in
the digital world. Donate to keep our services freely available!
Editor for this issue: Christy Bird <christy at linguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory
hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race,
ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.
However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set
up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:32:42
From: HR Department [jobs at sensoryinc.com]
Subject: Phonetics; Phonogy; Speech Technology: Linguist, Sensory, Inc., Oregon, USA
E-mail this message to a friend:
University or Organization: Sensory, Inc.
Department: Human Resources
Job Location: Oregon, USA
Web Address: http://sensoryinc.com
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology; Speech Technology
Sensory, Inc. is seeking a Linguist with an interest in speech technology.
Must be able to juggle multiple projects and priorities, and be very organized
with strong attention to detail. Must be a fast learner interested in phonetics,
phonology and technical concepts. Must be comfortable with customer
Sensory offers an exciting opportunity at a growing technology company
targeting consumer products with cutting edge speech recognition
technologies and chips. Sensory is the leader in a rapidly expanding market
for voice user interfaces in consumer electronics. Notable Sensory
specialties are voice interfaces for mobile communications, entertainment
robotics, home automation and automotive. Sensory has design wins with
major players in all these fields. Sensory has been a leader in small footprint
speech technologies since it's founding in 1994 and is a profitable privately
held company positioned for strong growth.
- Develop, tune and test speaker-independent recognition sets and speech
prompts for customer projects
- Recruit and record internal participants for tuning and testing of speech
recognition sets for customer and internal projects
- Recruit participants for QA testing of tuned recognition sets for customer
and internal projects
- Review recognition vocabulary lexical properties and menu structure for
optimal customer product performance
- Interact with customers to provide guidance on dialogue design and
recognition set makeup for optimal speech recognition success rate
- Work with Sensory engineers to deliver project vocabularies, translations,
speech prompts, etc on schedule
- Assist with QA testing of Sensory's QT2SI (Quick Text-to-Speaker-
Independent) recognition set building tool and other Linguistics tools and
provide feedback and bug reports to Engineering
- Responsible for sourcing TTS voice talents auditions, assist in selection of
Requirements and Preferences:
- B.A./B.S. in Linguistics required; M.A. in Linguistics preferred
- 1-5 years total job experience with demonstrated focus in linguistics
- Excellent understanding of phonological and phonetic concepts required
- Ability to interpret spectrograms and transcribe in IPA required
- Computer literate (Windows, DOS) and experience with Microsoft
- Experience using tools such as Audition, Peak, Sound Forge, or Praat
- Knowledge of WorldBet or SAMPA preferred
- Fluency in at least one foreign language preferred
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: jobs at sensoryinc.com
Email: jobs at sensoryinc.com
LINGUIST List: Vol-23-2032
More information about the Linguist