23.3289, Sum: Phonology Experiment: The Rhythm of English

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 3 14:03:12 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3289. Fri Aug 03 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3289, Sum: Phonology Experiment: The Rhythm of English

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Seng Lee <seng at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:02:56
From: Adrian Leis [adrian at staff.miyakyo-u.ac.jp]
Subject: Phonology Experiment: The Rhythm of English

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3289.html&submissionid=4551062&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 23.3239

Hello,

Thanks to those who have supported my phonology research by participating
in the experiment posted on this site a few days ago. I have received a few
very positive comments and e-mails asking questions about the project and
would like to add a few comments here.

The study is asking if when speaking English (as a second language), the CV
rhythm used in Japanese language would be intelligible if used instead of
the CVC that is used by native speakers of English. Basically, it is a test
of the intelligibility of katakana English. So it is not a test of the
listener, but a test of the speaker.

There are certainly a few weaknesses. The surrounding discourse may help
some people 'guess' the answer, even if they haven't been able to catch
what was said. Also, because the sentences are repeated, some people may be
simply remembering what had been said before, rather than entering their
answer based on what they had heard.  I plan to address these weaknesses
once an analysis of the data has been finished. Thank you to those who made
these comments about the project.

Thanks again to everyone's support in the experiment. I will conduct the
analysis in about a month, so if you haven't tried, or would like to send
it to other, please feel free to do so.

http://staff.miyakyo-u.ac.jp/~andy/q/

Kind regards

Adrian