23.3411, Jobs: Comp Ling; Phonetics: Senior Linguistic Engineer, Nuance Communications

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 14 18:52:13 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3411. Tue Aug 14 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3411, Jobs: Comp Ling; Phonetics: Senior Linguistic Engineer, Nuance Communications

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:51:32
From:  None Given [EMEAJOBS at nuance.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Senior Linguistic Engineer, Nuance Communications, Merelbeke, Belgium

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3411.html&submissionid=4551594&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: Merelbeke, Belgium
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com
Job Rank: Senior Linguistic Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

At Nuance Communications, everything we do is focused on
developing the most human, natural, intuitive ways to use your voice
to take command of information. Our people and our technology
have pioneered the highest functioning speech software in the world,
ceaselessly perfecting the ability for machines to recognize and
emulate the human voice. We design and deliver technologies that
intuitively link man, machine and the global storehouse of
knowledge to help companies and consumers work seamlessly and
intelligently with the world.

Role: Senior Linguistic Engineer
Location: Merelbeke, Belgium
REF: 8126

Job Description:
-  Provide linguistic support for language expansion of Mobile voice
control, search and dictation applications, as well as desktop
dictation applications
-  Develop grammar data files for tokenization, formatting and NLU
-  Adding and correcting existing dictionary entries in general and
specialized pronunciation dictionaries
-  Serving as a language expert resource for engineers and
researchers
-  Managing language consultant contractors

Language Skill Requirements:
-  English: native or near-native skill
-  Native or near-native language skills in another language
-  Proficiency in at least one other language

Other Requirements:
-  A post-graduate degree in computational linguistics
-  Familiarity with parsing and ontologies
-  Experience with phonetic transcription and the International
Phonetic Alphabet
-  Ability to do multitasking and work under the stress of deadlines
-  Ability to work independently
-  Knowledge of Unix/Linux
-  Familiarity with text editors, both under Linux (e.g. emacs or vi) and
Windows, and character encoding
-  Ability to program in a scripting language (e.g. Perl or Python)

Preferred Skills:
-  Team leadership and/or management experience
-  Familiarity with machine learning

Education:
-  A post-graduate degree in computational linguistics

To apply, please visit the application URL below and enter the
reference number 8126.

Application Deadline: 14-Feb-2013 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: EMEAJOBS at nuance.com
Web Address for Applications: http://www.nuance.com/careers
Contact Information
	None Given