23.3415, Jobs: Comp Ling; Phonology: NLP Research Engineer, Nuance Communications

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 14 19:34:50 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3415. Tue Aug 14 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3415, Jobs: Comp Ling; Phonology: NLP Research Engineer, Nuance Communications

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:34:30
From:  None Given [EMEAJOBS at nuance.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Phonology: NLP Research Engineer, Nuance Communications, Aachen, Germany

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3415.html&submissionid=4551600&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: Aachen, Germany
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com
Job Rank: NLP Research Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics

At Nuance Communications, everything we do is focused on
developing the most human, natural, intuitive ways to use your voice
to take command of information. Our people and our technology
have pioneered the highest functioning speech software in the world,
ceaselessly perfecting the ability for machines to recognize and
emulate the human voice. We design and deliver technologies that
intuitively link man, machine and the global storehouse of
knowledge to help companies and consumers work seamlessly and
intelligently with the world.

Role: NLP Research Engineer
Locaiton: Aachen, Germany
REF: 8094

Job Description:
-  NLP algorithm research
-  advance the state of the art of automotive NLU by analyzing
existing technology in terms of shortcomings, identifying areas of
improvement, and developing new approaches to solving problems
-  assist with or carry out productization of software: turning research
code into stable software
-  design and develop tools related to the NLU development proces
-  solve problems for project teams working on customer projects
-  train and optimize natural language understanding models
-  supervise data processing
-  run tuning and optimization experiments

Skills and Experience Required:
-  Excellent background in statistics, pattern recognition, and/or signal
processing
-  Good knowledge of speech recognition theory, acoustics, and/or
psycho-acoustics
-  Expertise in natural language processing, computational
linguistics, statistical language modeling, search, and/or machine
translation
-  Strong programming skills, ideally in Python, Java, and/or C
-  Skills related to text processing, scripting languages, regular
expressions
-  Excellent oral and written communications skills in English
MSc, ideally PhD in computer science, engineering, physics,
mathematics, or other technical field
-  PhD or equivalent research experience are a strong asset
Preferred skills
-  User interface, human-machine interaction, and dialogue system
development experience
-  Ability to carry out focused and goal-oriented research and
development, ability to assume responsibility for one's work
-  Ability to work in an international team as well as independently in
fast-paced environment
-  Ability to creatively solve problems while leveraging existing
technology with an eye for efficiency
-  Operational knowledge of languages other than English

To apply, please visit the application URL below and enter the
reference number 8094.

Application Deadline: 14-Feb-2013 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: EMEAJOBS at nuance.com
Web Address for Applications: http://www.nuance.com/careers
Contact Information
	None Given