23.3453, Diss: Morphology/ Dutch/ English/ German: Diepeveen: 'Modifying words...'

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 16 23:45:40 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3453. Thu Aug 16 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3453, Diss: Morphology/ Dutch/ English/ German: Diepeveen: 'Modifying words...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Lili Xia <lxia at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:45:22
From: Ariane Diepeveen [j.diepeveen at fu-berlin.de]
Subject: Modifying words: Dutch adverbial morphology in contrast

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3453.html&submissionid=4551702&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Freie Universität Berlin
Program: German and Dutch Languages and Literature
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2012

Author: Janneke Diepeveen

Dissertation Title: Modifying words: Dutch adverbial morphology in contrast

Dissertation URL:  http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/diss/receive/FUDISS_thesis_000000038716

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology

Subject Language(s): Dutch (nld)
                     English (eng)
                     German (deu)

Dissertation Director(s):
Geert Booij
Matthias Hüning

Dissertation Abstract:

The topic of my dissertation is a domain of Dutch word formation which
has so far been ignored in the morphological literature: the formation of
complex adverbs through derivation. In overviews of Dutch word
formation we usually find a list of suffixes for adverb formation: -(e)lijk, -
(e)lings, -gewijs, -erwijs, -halve, -iter, -tjes, -waarts, -weg. These Dutch
adverbial suffixes have only been treated very superficially which is in
strong contrast with the genetically related German adverbial suffixes.
Descriptions are usually restricted to the enumeration of a number of
synchronic properties without empirical foundation. The diachrony of
these suffixes has also remained in the dark whereas there are
detailed diachronic descriptions of the German counterparts. With my
dissertation I aim to fill these gaps by offering a detailed description of
the Dutch adverbial suffixes from a synchronic and a diachronic
perspective. It is based on qualitative investigation of attested language
data from corpora and dictionaries. Two further word-formation
morphemes are included, -matig and -technisch, whose German
equivalents -mäßig and -technisch have recently received much
attention in the literature. In view of the combined synchronic and
diachronic perspective, I describe the development of each suffix
starting in the oldest phase of Dutch until contemporary Dutch.
Contrastive observations on German and English related suffixes are
included to enrich the description of the Dutch suffixes.

This dissertation contains three main parts. The theoretical and
practical foundation of my study is provided in the first part (chapters 1-
6). The second part is the core of the dissertation: chapters 7-17
represent descriptions of the Dutch suffixes -(e)lijk, -(e)lings, -gewijs, -
erwijs, -halve, -iter, -matig, -technisch, -tjes, -waarts, -weg. Each
chapter consists of an introduction, a synchronic description, a
diachronic description and a conclusion. Finally, in the third part of the
dissertation (chapter 18), the results of the individual suffix descriptions
are brought together and discussed, leading to conclusions on the
category of 'adverbial morphology' and the linguistic function of
'modification'.