23.5029, All: In Memoriam: Dieter Kastovsky

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 3 15:48:38 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-5029. Mon Dec 03 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.5029, All: In Memoriam: Dieter Kastovsky

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:48:02
From: Anke Beck [mouton.editorial at degruyter.com]
Subject: In Memoriam: Dieter Kastovsky

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-5029.html&submissionid=5208101&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

“Well-read” and “widely published” are certainly terms which can be attributed
to the late Dieter Kastovsky, Prof. em.  of English Linguistics and Director
of the Centre for Translation Studies in Vienna. One could also call him “a
true European”, if not an “activist” who believed in the importance of durable
exchange of students and academic staff, building networks of personal and
professional contacts, particularly between Institutions of higher education
within the European Union but also beyond. Unsurprisingly, he supported
academic exchange programs like SOKRATES and TEMPUS.

As long as I knew Dieter his special concern was to work with institutions in
eastern and central Europe and the Balkans. The basis of his commitment to
this part of the world goes back to his early membership in the Societas
Linguistica Europaea (SLE) in the late 1960s which, during the time of the
Cold War, was able to form a bridge between academics in both worlds when
nobody thought it possible. Dieter continued his undivided support for the
Societas until now and served as its General Secretary from 1991 – 2006.

In honor of his 60st birthday, and also in honor of his contributions to the
field of linguistics, his colleagues under the editorship of Profs. Christiane
Dalton-Puffer and Nikolaus Ritt published a Festschrift with De Gruyter
Mouton. The tabula gratulatoria was very long, Dieter Kastovsky´s bibliography
even longer. We could have published three volumes instead of the agreed
single volume and the editors told me that it was difficult for them to stop
colleagues from submitting. Dieter continued to attend the meetings of the SLE
even after leaving his official position with the Societas. We stopped meeting
each other when I handed over the De Gruyter Mouton program to my successor
Uri Tadmor to take on other responsibilities at De Gruyter. But Dieter and his
wonderful, winsome, always very cheerful wife Professor Barbara Kryk-Kastovsky
were not the kind of people who kept friendships only because of professional
relationships. We kept in contact, by phone-calls or e-mail exchanges. With
unprecedented reliability around this time of the year, my colleagues and I
would receive colourful postcards from the most curious parts around the world
and a short summary what happened to the Kastovskys during the year. I
remember him smiling with Barbara into a camera with a Koala bear in the
background and everybody in the office was envying them for their love of
adventure, their joyfulness, their obvious appreciation for each other and
their Lebenslust.

Barbara, we share your grief; we will not forget Dieter and will always think
of him – not only around Christmas.

On behalf of all colleagues at DE GRUYTER MOUTON

Anke Beck
Kirstin Börgen
Emily Farrell
Jennifer Mand