23.5058, Calls: Philosophy of Language/Japan

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 4 16:42:21 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-5058. Tue Dec 04 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.5058, Calls: Philosophy of Language/Japan

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 11:41:47
From: Melissa Choi [mchoi at iafor.org]
Subject: Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy 2013

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-5058.html&submissionid=5208153&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy 2013
Short Title: ACERP

Date: 28-Mar-2013 - 31-Mar-2013
Location: Osaka, Japan
Contact Person: Kiyoshi Mana
Meeting Email: acerp at iafor.org
Web Site: http://acerp.iafor.org/

Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language

Call Deadline: 01-Feb-2013

Meeting Description:

Conference Theme: ‘Connectedness and Alienation: The 21st Century Enigma’

Being connected through social networking sites has become an accepted form of communication in today’s digitalized world. People can spend hours a day talking on mobile phones, on Skype, or on the Internet, which gives the impression that we are a more connected world than ever before. And communication is lauded. Because of the massive information flow we can call ourselves perhaps the most connected age in history. But is this connectedness, however, real or illusory?

Quantity of communication does not guarantee quality. For example, to many sensitive people, when they call a number and hear the words ‘Please listen to the following options’ the sense of connectedness suddenly becomes alienating. The crude mechanics entailed can make people feel suspicious, isolated, and even threatened by an invisible structure they cannot penetrate.

A raft of serious existential issues arises out of this. What impact does this have on the self whose identity in the time/space continuum, in the rapidly changing environment, and in these manufactured structures, depends for its development on interaction with perceived reality? What becomes the definition of the human? And what of the awareness of the transcendent in the human spirit from which ethics and aesthetics depend for their existence? Far from being questions of the present moment, these are parameters that will dominate the central problem of human self-understanding as we progress further into the uncharted waters of a highly uncertain future.

We hope that the Conference will open up avenues of thought and generate creative visions that can be of service to the wider community we wish to address.

The Reverend Professor Stuart D. B Picken
Order of the Sacred Treasure, B.D., Ph.D., F.R.A.S.
Chairman, Japan Society of Scotland,
Chairman of the IAFOR International Advisory Board
ACERP 2013 Conference Chair

2nd Call for Papers:

The conference theme is ‘Connectedness and Alienation: The 21st Century Enigma’ and the organizers encourage submissions that approach this question from a variety of perspectives. However, the submission of other topics for consideration is welcome and we also encourage sessions within and across a variety of disciplines and fields related to Ethics, Religion and Philosophy, including the following streams:

Philosophy:

Philosophy and Religion
Philosophy and the Arts
Philosophy and Public Policy
Philosophy and Technology
Philosophy and Culture
Philosophy and Education
Philosophy and Peace Studies
Comparative Philosophy
Linguistics, Language and Philosophy

Ethics:

Medical Ethics
Business and Management Ethics
Ethics in Education
Ethics, law, and Justice
Ethics and Globalization
Ethics and Science
Comparative Ethics
Linguistics, Language and Ethics

Religion:

Theism and Atheism
Feminism and Religious Traditions
Religion and Education
Religion and Peace Studies
Mysticism, Faith, and Scientific Culture
Interfaith Dialogue
Comparative Religion
Linguistics, Language and Religion

For more information on abstract submission, please view our website:

http://acerp.iafor.org/

Important Dates:

Extended deadline for submission of abstracts:  February 1, 2013
Results of abstract reviews returned to authors: Usually within two weeks of submission
Deadline for submission of full papers: May 1, 2013
Deadline for full conference registration payment for all presenters: March 1, 2013
ACP conference: March 28 - March 31, 2013