23.642, Jobs: Dutch; Psycholinguistics: 2 PhD Students, Utrecht University

Tue Feb 7 17:35:00 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-642. Tue Feb 07 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.642, Jobs: Dutch; Psycholinguistics: 2 PhD Students, Utrecht University

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 07-Feb-2012
From: Jos van Berkum [j.vanberkum at uu.nl]
Subject: Dutch; Psycholinguistics: 2 PhD Students, Utrecht University, Netherlands

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:34:16
From: Jos van Berkum [j.vanberkum at uu.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-642.html&submissionid=4540386&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Utrecht University
Department: UiL OTS and Dept. of Dutch
Job Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.uu.nl/faculty/humanities/en/research/researchinstitutes/uilots
Job Rank: 2 PhD Students

Specialty Areas: Psycholinguistics

Required Language(s): Dutch (nld)

The Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS and the Department of Dutch are
offering two PhD positions for research on affective factors in language
comprehension.

The PhD projects are part of the Dutch Science Foundation Vici programme
"Moving the language user: Affect and perspective in discourse processing".
In this programme, we explore the interfaces between the language system
and affect ('emotion'), while taking into account that linguistic communication
involves multiple perspectives. Using cognitive neuroscience and behavioral
methods, we ask four questions about how language interfaces with affect:
(1) How do linguistic and affective representations interact as people read a
simple sentence? (2) How do readers deal with the affective stance of the
author, implied by the choice of words and expressions? (3) How do readers
balance their own feelings, and the value systems beneath them, with those
of protagonists as narrative develops? (4) Which ingredients of persuasive
communication modulate reader involvement, and how can we make our
insights relevant to the needs of society (e.g., to mobilize empathy)? The two
PhD students will work on the 3rd and 4th project, in a team with 2 postdocs
and the programme coordinator (Jos van Berkum).

Deadline March 1, 2012, 9:00 AM local time. Only native speakers of Dutch
can apply. For further details, please visit the university jobs pages (in Dutch):
http://www.uu.nl/NL/Informatie/sollicitanten/Pages/vacatures.aspx

Application Deadline: 01-Mar-2012

Web Address for Applications: http://www.uu.nl/NL/Informatie/sollicitanten/Pages/vacatures.aspx
Contact Information: