23.672, Jobs: French; Syntax: Linguists/Syntacticians, Appen Butler Hill

Thu Feb 9 01:38:11 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-672. Wed Feb 08 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.672, Jobs: French; Syntax: Linguists/Syntacticians, Appen Butler Hill

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 07-Feb-2012
From: Mandy Iverson [miverson at appenbutlerhill.com]

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 20:36:59
From: Mandy Iverson [miverson at appenbutlerhill.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-672.html&submissionid=4540411&topicid=7&msgnumber=1
 University or Organization: Appen Butler Hill
Job Location: ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://www.appenbutlerhill.com
Job Rank: Linguists/Syntacticians

Specialty Areas: Syntax

Required Language(s): French (fra)

Appen Butler Hill is seeking French (France) linguists/syntacticians to
help improve the syntax parsers for a leading global IT company.

Main responsibilities include reviewing and annotating the language data
according to specified dependency rules and refining the tag set. The
successful candidate has a background in Theoretical Linguistics with
emphasis on syntactic and semantic analysis. Previous experience in
interpreting semantic and syntactic representations and familiarity with
Dependency Grammars is a big plus.

The project will start as early as the middle/end of February 2012 and will
continue for 3-4 months with possibility of extension. All work is done
remotely; average time commitment will be approximately 20-30 hours per
week.

Required Skills:
-  B.A. degree or higher in Computational Linguistics, Linguistics or related
field
-  Native or near-native knowledge of written French
-  Excellent written communication skills in English
-  Strong background in syntax and grammar engineering
-  Ability to quickly understand new linguistic technologies and
client/project needs
-  Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
-  Demonstrated organizational skills with attention to detail

Additional Information:
The project requires excellent English reading, writing and communication
skills. Strong computer skills in a Windows environment and greater than
average comfort with software and technology are expected. You will be
required to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement at the time of
contract negotiation.

Compensation:
We offer a competitive, hourly pay rate DOE (to be paid as 1099 self-
employment income).

How to Apply:
http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=4&rid=266

Application Deadline: 28-Feb-2012